View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Half Hanging 

Post Half Hanging
Has anyone come across "half hanging" as a form of punishment in Britain during the Age of Sail? I do not think this was ever a naval punishment.

A cord is pulled tight around a civilian criminal's neck until the criminal is unconscious but not dead. He is then released to recover or to receive additional punishment.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:31 pm
Commander

Post Re: Half Hanging
Half-hanging seems to have been used as a prelude to a final punishment (e.g. disembowelment or burning) in the 16th and 17th centuries.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:15 am

IONIA wrote:
Half-hanging seems to have been used as a prelude to a final punishment (e.g. disembowelment or burning) in the 16th and 17th centuries.

Peter, thanks. Where did you find that?

Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:21 am
Admin

That's a pretty grim form of torture/punishment. :(

I did a quick Google Books search. A lot of the results seem connected with Irish rebellion.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:59 am
Profile YIM
Commander

timoneer wrote:
IONIA wrote:

Peter, thanks. Where did you find that?

Same as Susan - googled for "half hanged". I didn't find the Irish connection, however.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

IONIA wrote:

Thanks Peter and Susan. I started with Google too. My books were no help. I found that it was used "notably" against the Irish about 1798 by the British to extract information. That was a little later than the incident in the novel I'm reading. Peter, I could not find if it was used earlier than 1798 so that is why I asked about the 16th and 17th century comment. The 17th century and 1798 span the time of the incident I read. I should have been more specific.

Could "half hanging" have been used circa 1775 against a common criminal who was later whipped?

Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:13 pm
Commander

timoneer wrote:
IONIA wrote:

Thanks Peter and Susan. I started with Google too. My books were no help. I found that it was used "notably" against the Irish about 1798 by the British to extract information. That was a little later than the incident in the novel I'm reading. Peter, I could not find if it was used earlier than 1798 so that is why I asked about the 16th and 17th century comment. The 17th century and 1798 span the time of the incident I read. I should have been more specific.

Could "half hanging" have been used circa 1775 against a common criminal who was later whipped?

I see in Google Books that the good people of Boston Mas. half-hung and tarred and feathered a Customs officer in 1775!

Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:26 pm

IONIA wrote:
timoneer wrote:

I see in Google Books that the good people of Boston Mas. half-hung and tarred and feathered a Customs officer in 1775!

My Oh My! We colonials were so naughty.

Thanks, Peter.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:25 am
Lieutenant

Ah! Scottish/English Conflict ...

"Following the trial, on 23 August 1305, Wallace was taken from the hall, stripped naked and dragged through the city at the heels of a horse to the Elms at Smithfield. He was hanged, drawn and quartered — strangled by hanging but released while he was still alive, eviscerated and his bowels burnt before him, beheaded, then cut into four parts. His preserved head (dipped in tar) was placed on a pike atop London Bridge.[15] It was later joined by the heads of the brothers, John and Simon Fraser. His limbs were displayed, separately, in Newcastle upon Tyne, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Stirling, and Aberdeen."

this is a quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Wallace#Capture_and_execution and is well known to any Scot.
I know of no connection to The Age of Sail

Viking

Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]