View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Products Still in Use Today 
Admin

Post Products Still in Use Today
In doing research on marine glue/pitch for repairs to the wooden deck on Falls of Clyde, I came across websites selling Jeffery's Black Marine Glue. The description saying that it was a traditional product made me curious so I did a bit of Googling.

As far as I can tell, Jeffery's Marine Glue dates back to the early 1840s or so. An article in Volume 43 of the United Service Magazine discusses the merits of the glue.

A report from Woolwich Dockyard states:

"...the seams payed with Mr. Jeffery's 'marine glue' on the quarter-deck of the Hebe...we have surveyed them accordingly, and find their state to be excellent. The 'glue' completely fills up the seams, and adheres firmly to them, so as to form, with the wood, a solid mass. It is so hard, notwithstanding the heat of the weather, that the point of a knife will not make any impression on it. It is fifteen months since this experiement was made; and we are of the opinion that is has most fully succeeded."

Other types of experiments were done, including one which two blocks of wood (with bolts through them) were joined together by the glue.

"The day after the marine glue had been applied to these blocks, they were tested by means of the hydraulic machine in Woolwich Dockyard, in the presence of Sir Francis Collier and the Master Shipwrights of the Queen's Dockyards at Plymouth, Portsmouth, Sheerness, Chatham, and Woolwich. A strain was applied to the extent of nineteen tons, at which point one of the bolts broke, but the junction of the wood still remained perfect, and apparently not affected."

This reminds me of the super glue commercials!

For more information there is Alfred Jeffery's Notes on the Marine Glue (1844)

Can anyone think of other maritime related products that are still in use today?

Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:45 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]