View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Doggett's Coat & Badge Race 
Admin

Post Doggett's Coat & Badge Race
Being held today on the Thames - its origins in the early 18th C - is Doggett’s Coat and Badge Race involving the Company of Watermen and Lightermen.

For info, their opponents: The Worshipful Company of Fishmongers.

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:22 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

My current non-fiction choice, William's The Prize of all the Oceans, has reference to the Thames Watermen.

In Canton, George Anson was anxious to impress visiting Chinese dignitaries. Their being no formal Royal Navy uniform at the time(*) Anson "....improvised a naval uniform for his men. The barge's crew of eighteen were dressed in a uniform modelled on that of the Thames watermen .....scarlet jackets, blue silk waistcoats .... silver buttons and cap badges....."

For info: the Thames Watermen livery

(*) Williams gives the following information about uniform: "...Elizabeth I ... supplied blue coats to the seamen fighting Spain and the Armada...was soon put an end by the more austere James I, who refused 'to clothe the men to make them handsome to run away' ..."

Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:57 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Short bit about the Watermen from Volume II of the Naval Chronicle (p. 159):

"July 4. A deputation from the Watermen's Company went to the Queen's House, with a sturgeon of the enormous weight of 160lb. as a present to his Majesty, according to annual custom."

Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:39 am
Profile YIM
Admin

The Times, August 1st, 1796:

" ... Doggett's Annual Coat and Badge will be rowed for this day from Old Swan Stairs to the Swan at Chelsea, by six young Watermen, whose Apprenticeships have expired this present year. ..."

Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:51 am
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

There's a pub by the river near Blackfriars' Bridge called 'Doggett's Coat and Badge'. A good place to watch the race?

Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Admin

...thanks, Polly. I don't know London that well, I'm only usually sort of passing through, so information appreciated.

It's not the prettiest of the good old British pubs, is it? View here if, like me, you are not familiar with the place....and some more info from Wiki.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:49 pm
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Yes, it does look a bit grim! Your post jogged my memory - I had never heard of Doggett's Coat and Badge until I saw another pub of that name - this was years ago - and somebody explained the name to me. I've been racking my brains all afternoon to think where it was. I've just remembered - and Google has confirmed - that it's in Margate, of all places!

Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:33 pm
Lieutenant

...thanks, Polly. I don't know London that well, I'm only usually sort of passing through, so information appreciated.

It's not the prettiest of the good old British pubs, is it? View here if, like me, you are not familiar with the place....and some more info from Wiki.

If you can't get into that one........walk east on the other side of the bridge and there is another modern pub (the name of which escapes me at the moment) and the Anchor further along from the 1600s, which may be more to your liking. There are others if you walk along the Thames.

Cheers

Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:43 am
Admin

The Times, August 1st, 1788:

" ... London ... This day being the first of August, Doggett's Coat and Barge will be rowed for by six young Watermen in the last year of their time, according to annual custom. ..."

Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:09 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]