View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Greek Pirates 
Admin

Post Greek Pirates
I was reading a short article about Greek pirates from an 1826 edition of The Scotsman. The writer mentions Sir Harry Burrard Neale, who, I believe, was C-in-C in the Mediterranean at the time. Mil, do you have any details about Sir Harry's efforts to stop them?

Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:27 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Some of his work in the Med, where he was indeed C-in-C from 1823-1826, is covered in that excellent book of the late Tom Pocock - Breaking the Chains. I'll see what else I can dig out from the information I have collated about him, but, in the meantime, the ODNB quotes ".....In 1824 his prompt action enforced the observance of the 1816 treaty on the dey of Algiers, though not until bomb vessels had been sent from England and the squadron was in position for opening fire...."

As I said in a previous post, I had not realised what a bloody period that was between the Greeks and Turks, and any officer commanding out there, IMO, was on a hiding to nothing.

Don C, have you anything to add to this, as you read the book before I?

Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:55 pm
Profile YIM

Don C, have you anything to add to this, as you read the book before I?

Mary, I pulled out the same book when I saw Susan's post but was waiting your reply since you are more of a student of Sir Harry than I.

I also looked back over my notes this morning without finding anything specific about "Greek pirates." Certainly the Greeks were in revolt against their Turkish masters and some were probably involved in piracy, depending on who was writing a report during that period about such activities.

For those interested in another aspect of slavery, in this case "white slavery" contrasted to the Ivory Coast slavery of which much has been written, this is an excellent book. The events leading up to the Battle of Navarino (1827) I found very interesting.

Don

Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:38 pm
Admin

I have tracked something down in an issue of The Gentleman's Magazine, 1826.

"......Vice-Admiral Sir Harry Neale lately transmitted a letter to JW Croker, Esq, a letter from Captain Hamilton, of HMS Cambrian, inclosing a report from Capt. GH Johnstone, of the Alacrity, of the destruction of four piratical vessels, on the 9th and 10th of April last, under the Greek islands of Psara and Andros....the boats of the Alacrity went in chase of the pirates, under the orders of Lieut. Triscott; after pulling more than 13 miles, forced them to ground their vessels, and to fly on shore, where they took up a position if front of some ruined houses. The lieutenant, with his officers and men, then leaped on shore and the pirates fled to the hills. Two seamen and one marine were wounded; an explosion unfortunately took place, by which Lieutenant Wheatley was severely hurt......"

I make the assumption that Croker was John Wilson Croker who was secretary to the Admiralty.

Last edited by Mil Goose on Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:09 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

.... adding a bit more to my previous post, and the story which sounded vaguely familiar, I'd like to quote a little bit of Pocock:

"......Admiral Neale had recently been so preoccupied by Algerian piracy, as well as slavery, that he was now to discover that Greek piracy was as bad and sometimes worse. Among the Greek islands he found that pirates were busily plundering their own compatriots...."

I'll read some more and condense what I come across, i.e. how he dealt with it.

Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:12 pm
Profile YIM
Midshipman

I believe the NRS published a volume concerning the anit-pirate operations of the early 19thC.

Foxe.

Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:52 pm
Commander

"Piracy in the Levant 1827-1828" NRS Vol. 72.

Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:58 pm
Midshipman

Foxe.

Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]