View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Wargames Campaigning 
Midshipman

Post Wargames Campaigning
I realise that this is not a wargames forum but . . . . Having now been bitten by the Sailing Navies bug, through my hobby of wargaming, I am seeking a decent set of rules or possible books (non fiction as well as reference). Any recommendations please?

Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:25 am
Admin

If you haven't already done so, you may want to contact Clash. He has a link in his signature to his website about his RPG. He can probably help you in terms of references.

Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

I'd be happy to help! I'm a games designer and publisher, though it's RPGs, not wargames that I design. I am familiar with several AoS wargames. What are you looking for?

-clash

Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:31 pm
Profile WWW
Midshipman

Hello Clash, thanks for replying. If I cannot obtain any, then I'm hoping to produce a 'home brew' set of campaign rules for small squadron actions. Nothing too grand. Maybe keeping Carribean sea lanes and channels open, maintaining supply for garrisons/colonial ports. In the process, upkeeping your own ships supplies etc. Initial moves being made on the map(s), and transferring to the table top upon contact to fight in 1200th scale.
I'm new to naval warfare, being an American Civil War buff (no I haven't tried Ironclads yet), but I've definitely been bitten by the bug, as have some of my colleagues.
I bought the Thundering Broadsides set, but found them a bit too involved. It's simplicty and playability that we are after.
I'll try to access your website later today Clash, but I've a bit of washing and ironing to do. Oh well, that's life. Thanks again.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:19 pm
Lieutenant

Hello Clash, thanks for replying. If I cannot obtain any, then I'm hoping to produce a 'home brew' set of campaign rules for small squadron actions. Nothing too grand. Maybe keeping Carribean sea lanes and channels open, maintaining supply for garrisons/colonial ports. In the process, upkeeping your own ships supplies etc. Initial moves being made on the map(s), and transferring to the table top upon contact to fight in 1200th scale.
I'm new to naval warfare, being an American Civil War buff (no I haven't tried Ironclads yet), but I've definitely been bitten by the bug, as have some of my colleagues.
I bought the Thundering Broadsides set, but found them a bit too involved. It's simplicty and playability that we are after.
I'll try to access your website later today Clash, but I've a bit of washing and ironing to do. Oh well, that's life. Thanks again.

I can heartily recommend Fire As She Bears from Starboard Tack Press http://www.fire-as-she-bears.com/

The rules are fairly easy to learn, and it's available as a downloadable pdf. The Trafalgar pack has neat printable ship counters.

The rules for running a ship-to-ship battle in "In Harm's Way," my napoleonic naval RPG, are suitable for small squadron and single ship battles, but they are character focused rather than ship-focused. I generally reommend FASB for those who want a simple ship focused game or for fleet actions.

[/url]

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:12 pm
Profile WWW

I'd like to recommend "Form Line of Battle" (one of mine, hence I must declare an interest) for a quick play and fairly simple and straightforward set of rules. Another excellent set is "Close Action", written by Mark Campbell, and Signal Close Action, written by Rod Langton. The latter is particularly well researched!

Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:37 pm
Admin

Welcome to the SN Forum!

Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:57 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]