View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 1:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Marines - general 
Admin

Post Marines - general

The Times, September 22nd, 1805:

" .... A regulation has lately taken place with respect to marines on board his Majesty's ships of war; and a standing order of the Admiralty Board has been made accordingly, that all ships of war, from a cutter even to a first rate of 100 guns, &c. shall in future carry a number of marines in proportion to the number of seamen, as ten to every hundred sailors. This regulation to take place directly. ...

Mon May 03, 2010 4:36 pm
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Post Re: Marines - general
Been waiting for the board to be up again so I can ask a question or 2... :)
Does anyone know offhand roughly how many Irish were in the marines? I know Michael Lewis crunched a lot of statistics in his "Social History of the Navy"; he had percentages of different nationalities aboard typical ships, what counties officers hailed from, etc... but I can't recall if there was a breakdown of marines as well. I know the marines were supposed to help prevent mutinies, & that some believed the Irish to be an "unstable element" in the Navy at the time... so I'm thinking there might not have been many of them. But then again... ??
Anyone?

...life on land is DRY :(

Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:45 am
Admin

Alison, that's an interesting question.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:01 am
Profile YIM
Commander

Someone analysed the Trafalgar Roll. Apparently there were about 3800 Irish RN and about 270 Irish marines.
This contrasts with 7800 English RN and about 1800 English marines. The Scots came in at 1300 and 60, the Welsh at 530 and 90.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:40 am
Lieutenant

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks :) I suppose these would be typical #s for average ships in the fleet. I can apply those rough #s to my crew.
Now I wonder, were the percentages any different by Trafalgar, than they would have been in 1796? Wasn't there an(other) "Irish rebellion" in '98 or so (?, memory a bit fuzzy late at night), so I wonder how that affected the numbers afterward.
Any other ideas?

Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:41 am
Lieutenant

Alison wrote:
Now I wonder, were the percentages any different by Trafalgar, than they would have been in 1796? Wasn't there an(other) "Irish rebellion" in '98 or so ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Rebellion_of_1798
might help!!
Or [for light relief] the book "1066 and all that" where nearly every chapter ends with the words "thus solving the irish question"

Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:10 am
Lieutenant

Ha! We actually have that book! I've glanced at it among the old books in the office, but have never read the whole thing.
Interesting Wikipedia article.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:34 am
Admin

The Times, December 12th, 1789:

" .... On Wednesday last, died, in the 76th year of his age, much lamented by the Corps, to which he belonged, Major General Martin of the Marines. His exemplary conduct, cheerfulness of disposition, and other amiable and valuable qualities, makes his loss severely felt, not only by his friends, but by all those who had the pleasure of acquaintance. ...

Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:56 am
Profile YIM
Admin

The Times, October 31st, 1785:

" ........... The Plymouth division of marines has been lately reviewed by Lord Howe, who expressed the highest approbation of the discipline and good order of the battalion; in consequence of which, his Majesty's thanks have been transmitted to the commanding officer, which were communicated to the officers and men in parade. From this distinguished mark of Royal favours, it is to be hoped, that the idea of any further reduction of that useful corps is at an end. ...... "

....reading that last sentence, it seems nothing much has changed ....;)

Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:58 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]