View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 12:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Nat. Institution for Preservation of Life from Shipwreck 
Admin

Post Nat. Institution for Preservation of Life from Shipwreck
I came across a reference to the National Institution for the Preservation of Life from Shipwreck in a bio of a naval officer. Today it is known as the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.

More information here: RNLI

Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:41 am
Profile YIM
Admin

That RNLI link brought a touch of nostalgia as Skegness (popularly known as 'Skeggy') is one of our local seaside resorts, being on the opposite side of The Wash to our nearest, Hunstanton, on the north Norfolk coast.

When my daughter was small we used to spend a week in the summer at Skeg on South Parade, near the Clock Tower, and right next to the old RNLI station, and have fond memories of the rocket going off to assemble the lifeboatmen, and the a caterpillar tractor type vehicle conveying the lifeboat down to the sea, Skeg being one of those places where the sea never comes in entirely.

As Susan's link shows they now have a new station down nearer the sea, but that mention of Skeg brought so many memories back of that pleasant town with its beautiful walks, gardens, waterway, waterfalls, a modest pleasure beach, and with world-class bowling greens.

Skegness today and the old Skeggy. The bottom picture shows South Parade where the old lifeboat station was located.

Thanks for letting me have my few moments of nostalgia. :)

Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:05 am
Profile YIM
Admin

From The Times, January 9, 1800, following the shipwreck of the vessel, Ajax, in Sunderland Roads, and a rescue performed by Cobles:

"..... The inhabitants of Sunderland and the Wearmouths instantly set on foot a subscription to reward those brave men who thus exerted themselves in saving the crew of this vessel, and to purchase and maintain a life-boat or boats. ...... A considerable sum was willingly contributed, and 158 guineas have been divided among those intrepid fellows, according to their respective merits. The balance remaining, with what is yet to be collected, will be immediately applied to the purpose above-mentioned. Some assistance has also been given to the widow of the man who was drowned....."

For forum members unfamiliar with the UK: the location of Sunderland which stands on the River Wear

Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:27 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]