View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Maker Tower 
Admin

Post Maker Tower
I've come across references to Maker Tower, which was a look-out/signalling post in the Plymouth (UK) area. Does anyone know if it still exists today? A quick Google search brings up older references but nothing in detail.

Sun May 20, 2007 5:35 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

After doing some research, I've found the answer. Maker Tower does exist. It's in the Cornish village of...Maker. :D It is actually the tower of the local church.

More information here (with a mention of the signals): Maker
Aerial view of the church: Maker Church, seen from the south and looking up The Hamoaze

Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:30 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

"SIGNAL-POSTS

During the late war there were three signal-posts, besides that on Maker Tower, visible from Looe: the first at Penhale, about three miles East of Looe; the second near Maker Tower; and the other on the Bolt, not far from its head. They were erected at the commencement of the war with France. A lieutenant of the Navy and two or three men were stationed at each, small houses being built for their residence. Signals by flags and balls were made to, and answered by, ships at sea, and communicated from one station to the other till they reached the Port Admiral at Plymouth. A look-out was kept by night as well as by day; and the night-signals were made by fires, blue lights, &c."

From Topographical and Historical Sketches of the Boroughs of East and West Looe, in the County of Cornwall (1823) by Thomas Bond.

Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:24 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

The Times, February 9th, 1795:

" ... A Telegraph Signal-house has just been completed on Maker Heights, close to the Tower, which at present repeats the signals to Plymouth ..."

Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:05 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]