View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Captain Bullock's Safety Beacon 
Admin

Post Captain Bullock's Safety Beacon
Construction of the beacon on the Goodwin Sands
The beacon in rough seas

A description of the beacon from Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal (October 1840, p. 345), orignally published in the Times:

"The beacon he [Bullock] has succeeded in erecting consists of a column about 40 feet above the level of the sea, having cleets and ropes attached to four of its sides, with holds for hands and feet. At the summit of the column is attached a gallery of hexagon form, made of trellis work, and capable of holding 20 persons at one time. Above the gallery, and in continuation of the column, is a flagstaff 10 feet long, thus making the entire beacon 50 feet in height. The sides of the gallery are so constructed as to enable the persons in it to be covered in with sailcloth, which is reefed in and round it, and can be used at pleasure; as also an awning to pass over it, which is fixed to the flagstaff; thus entirely protecting any unfortunate mariner who may seek shelter on the column from foul and tempestuous weather. A barrel of fresh water, together with a painted bag enclosing a flag of distress, is stationed on the gallery, and the words, 'hoist the flag' painted in the languages of all nations on boards stationed round the inner part of the gallery, so that the foreigner as well as native seaman may be enabled to show a signal of distress, and obtain help from shore, which is about seven miles distant from the beacon."

And to give a face to the name...Captain Frederick Bullock

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:38 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Interesting information, Susie....thanks.

I've seen the one of the modern lightships from the coast, and also from my hotel bedroom window at Folkestone at night, but did you know until recently they played cricket out there? Honest!

This link provides more information about the Goodwins and also has a map, and while I was looking for stuff I can across a site from the Ramsgate lifeboat with some interesting artwork.

Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:29 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]