View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Pilots -- general 
Admin

Post Pilots -- general
THE TIMES, February 24, 1812

" ...The accidents that have lately occurred in the navy by shipwreck, &c, have induced the Board of Admiralty to issue positive directions to Captains and officers commanding ships, to give the utmost attention in their power to the ascertaining of the abilities of such pilots as may be placed in charge of men-of-war, The directions also enjoin similar attention to the master; and strictly to observe that the lead be kept most carefully going, whenever the ship may be in situations to require it, or in charge of a pilot, as the Captains or commanding officers are held responsible for such damage as may be sustained through the ignorance or neglect of the pilot, when by their precaution it might possibly have been avoided. ... "

Does anyone know details of the statistics that would cause the Admiralty to issue this directive?

Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:45 pm
Profile YIM
Commander

My sources do not reveal any specific statistics, but in my readings regarding shipwrecks and other naval-related disasters of the era, a surprising number were found to be the fault of the pilot or pilots who were charged with the navigation of the ship at the time.

Don't know if that helps or not, Mil.

Charity

Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:44 pm
Admin

Post AWOL Pilots?
From Nelson's Public Order Book, included in the Navy Record Society's The Naval Miscellany (Volume VI):

Amazon
Downs
24th Septr 1801

General Memo 10

The captains and commanders of His Majesty's ships and vessels under my command are to report to me immediately the names of their pilots, stating if any are absent without leave.

Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:38 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

From The Times, January 12, 1804:

" .... the following melancholy circumstance occurred at seas, off Newhaven .... as three young men, named Smith, Baker and Bee the most skilful pilots belonging to that port, were going off to some colliers, lying in the road, for the purpose of bringing them into the harbour, their boat, being heavily laden with ballast, it is supposed, shipped a quantity of water and foundered, by which accident the poor men were all unhappily drowned. The master of a vessel who came into the harbour on the same day, states, that he saw a lug-sail boat with three men on board, about a league from the shore, which he suddenly missed, but without seeing her go down. Smith had in his pocket a letter-case, containing several hand-bills. ....."

Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:08 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Post Re: Pilots -- general
The Times, January 10th, 1809:

" ........... An affecting scene occurred at Southend, Yorkshire about six o'clock last Wednesday evening. During the violence of the storm, five of the Humber pilots took a small boat, with the intention of going aboard their pilot-boat, lying off the garrison . Just as they put off, a wave struck the boat, which instantly was upset in the sight of a number of people, and only two were saved. ....... "

Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:47 am
Profile YIM
Admin

The Times, October 26th, 1791:

" ........... NEWCASTLE, Oct.22. ... Monday as four men were waiting in a boat at the mouth of Sunderland harbour, in order to pilot a ship in, the sea running very high, they unfortunately ventured too far, whereby the boat was overset, and one of the men was drowned, who has left a wife and seven unprotected children; the other three were picked up by some vessels coming in. ....... "

Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:25 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Thanks for the timely pilot post. ;)

Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:21 am
Profile YIM
Admin

susan wrote:
Thanks for the timely pilot post. ;)

Susan, could I persuade you to explain this cryptic comment to other members? I'm sure they would like to know about your recent "adventure".
Please.....

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:10 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Mil Goose wrote:
Susan, could I persuade you to explain this cryptic comment to other members? I'm sure they would like to know about your recent "adventure".

Last week I got to go out on a pilot boat and was allowed to accompany the pilot aboard the container ship he was piloting into the harbor. Great time!

Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:43 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]