View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Don't run the ship aground... 
Commander

Post Don't run the ship aground...
A summary from the Naval Chronicle and Times of 1802:
The 50-gun fourth-rate Assistance, while on passage from the North Sea to Portsmouth, ran onto the banks between Dunkirk and Gravelines, then after beating over them was entirely lost. Captain and crew were saved by a Flemish Pilot boat and fishing boats that came to her assistance.
The wreck happened on March 29. At a court martial of Captain Lee, his officers and crew, Lee was admonished not to trust pilots so much in the future. The pilots, Watson Riches and Edmund Coleman, were both mulct of their pay and given six months in the Marshalsea prison.

Charity

Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:00 pm

Below is part of one of the letters in "Nelson's Hero" by Victor T. Sharman.

Aboard "Boreas"
Portsmouth
April 21st, 1784
To William Locker, Esq. West Malling
My dear Friend,
Since I parted from you, I have encountered many disagreeable adventures. The day after I left you, we sailed at daylight, just after high water. The damned pilot - it makes me swear to think of it - ran the ship aground, where she lay with so little water that the people could walk round her till next high water. That night and part of the next day, we lay below the Nore with a hard gale of wind and snow….
[signed] Horatio Nelson

Punishment for the pilot is not mentioned, but I bet he steered very clear of Nelson. :D

Don

Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]