View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Pilot Training 

Post Pilot Training
This thread is inspired by Mary's Lighthouse (Trinity House) posting.

Pilots -- Trinity
I have been fascinated by the pilot training and certification process by Trinity House ever since reading of such in the Drinkwater series.

Here is some information from the website already posted by Mary.

Henry VIII and Pilotage
It is often stated that the origins of Trinity House date back to a charitable guild of sea Samaritans established by Archbishop Stephen Langton in the 12th Century. The first official record is the grant of a Royal Charter by Henry VIII in 1514 to a fraternity of mariners called the Guild of the Holy Trinity, .. "so that they might regulate the pilotage of ships in the King's streams". At the time of inception, this charitable Guild owned a great hall and almshouses, close to the Naval Dockyard at Deptford on the River Thames. In 1604 James I conferred on Trinity House rights concerning compulsory pilotage of shipping and the exclusive right to license pilots in the River Thames. Until our responsibility for District Pilotage was transferred to Port and Harbour Authorities under the 1987 Pilotage Act, we were Pilotage Authority for London and over 40 other Districts, including the major ports of Southampton and Harwich.

Several years ago I even contacted Trinity House about my interest. While the secretary there was very helpful I didn't end up with much more than I could find on-line. I am still looking for books or reference material about Trinity pilot training. Libraries, even very good Marine ones here on the East coast of the US, have little reference materials about Trinity House and piloting. There does seem to be some information about Trinity Lighthouses however.

Maybe UK soures are more plentiful. Any book suggestions would be welcomed.

Don

Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:05 am
Admin

Post Re: Pilot Training
timoneer wrote:
Several years ago I even contacted Trinity House about my interest. While the secretary there was very helpful I didn't end up with much more than I could find on-line.

It's strange they couldn't steer (sorry, couldn't resist) you in a better direction.

Have you considered trying to contact Richard Woodman? I don't know if he would be any more helpful, but it can't hurt.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:50 pm
Profile YIM

Post Re: Pilot Training
susan wrote:
Have you considered trying to contact Richard Woodman? I don't know if he would be any more helpful, but it can't hurt.

Susan, contacting Richard Woodman was exactly what I was attempting to do when I was contacted by the secretary. I assumed that he was approached frequently by people who wished to correspond with him and this was the method he choose to handle the traffic.

Don

Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:03 pm
Admin

Have you tried leaving a message in the log on his site? I wonder if he responds to the posts there?

Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:01 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]