View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Maps and Charts 
Admin

Post Maps and Charts
Where would sailors be without charts? Found this on the US Library of Congress site:

The American Revolution and Its Era: Maps and Charts of North America and the West Indies, 1750-1789

and

Map Collections

Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:33 am
Profile YIM

Post Sea Charts of the British Isles
"Sea Charts of the British Isles: A Voyage of Discovery Around Britain & Ireland’s Coastline" by John Blake

I was expecting something a little different when I ordered this book, but I’m glad I did. It contains beautiful copies of maps and sketches that are period rather than modern. From maps of Ireland in the 1500’s, with Latin names no less, to a number of maps from the Age of Sail. The originals (mostly in museums) were hand drawn and colored. Some are very detailed and others are mere general impressions of harbors and ports as well as ground level scenes such as certain white cliffs, forts, and harbors.

One, drawn in the late 16th century to give an impression more than details, was made specifically for Queen Elizabeth. It shows the Falmouth area, with an English fleet sailing and a single ship-to-ship sea battle against a Spanish Ship as well as the harbor. Battle Standards are shown flying above St. Mawes and Pendennis Castles (think Richard Bolitho). It’s more of a history lesson than a map and clearly intended to inform a busy monarch of a distant part of her realm rather than be used by a sea captain.

All major British ports are covered as well as some of the larger and more important navigable rivers. Depending on the purpose of particular map, scale accuracy is sometimes lost and some errors creep in, like Scotland shown as a separate island in one drawing. In addition, the top of some maps is not North, meaning that you have to make a mental adjustment when viewing them. Aside from this, viewing these maps and drawings gives an interesting and different historical look at Britain.

Mary, there is a map made in 1693 of the sea entrance to King’s Lynn and the surrounding area that shows a tiny notation for a village named Wisbech. Sound familiar?

Don

Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:47 am
Admin

Post Re: Sea Charts of the British Isles
timoneer wrote:

Mary, there is a map made in 1693 of the sea entrance to King’s Lynn and the surrounding area that shows a tiny notation for a village named Wisbech. Sound familiar?

....yes, I've heard of it..... :wink:

Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:33 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Admiralty Charts of Scottish coasts, 1795-1904

Last edited by susan on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:25 am
Profile YIM
Admin

As you do, while I was looking for one thing I found another; in this case some splendid old maps of Plymouth which you will find if you scroll down a little.

I looooooooooove maps!

Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:32 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Post Re: Maps and Charts
Easter Island by The National Archives UK, on Flickr

Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:12 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]