View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Lighthouses 
Admin

Post Lighthouses
Trinity House has been mentioned on another thread with reference to Dick Woodman, and I've been continuing to watch the Coast programme on BBC which has featured many lighthouses, so I think perhaps such a thread would be interesting to have and add to.

A lot of the lighthouses, like the Eddystone, have their origins in the wooden structures that preceded the ones we see today, e.g. Winstanley's Tower built at the end of the 17th century.

I have a rather nice little book by broadcaster Adam Hart-Davis featuring Winstanley's Tower.

Please feel free to add to this thread.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:03 pm
Profile YIM

Post Rose Island Lighthouse
I thought this was interesting. The Rose Island Lighthouse, located near Newport, Rhode Island USA offers a unique experience of either renting rooms there or actually being the "Light Keeper."
Click HERE for details.

For more info about this lighthouse, click HERE.

Is there a lighthouse in the UK or other places that offers this same experience?

Don

Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:58 pm
Admin

That was interesting, thanks! I know you can stay in all manner of different buildings in the UK - hubby and I once stayed in a converted oasthouse in Sussex, the roundel section containing the sitting room, with the bathroom on the overhead floor - but I hadn't thought about lighthouses. :D

On searching I see that Trinity House itself rent out keeper's accommodation though an agency, (click on "lighthouse" menu on left), and hunting around further, I've found Amazon sell a directory of such accommodation, and I've found a perfect one for our Lady Forum Owner, a lover of all things Caledonian. :wink:

Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:55 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Speaking of Richard Woodman, he has written a book, with Jane Wilson, about lighthouses.

The Lighthouses of Trinity House

Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:46 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

As you do whilst hunting for one thing, you come across another, I came across this interesting link to the lighthouses of England's North Sea coast being of particular interest to me being my neck of the woods, so to speak.

The link to Orfordness ties in well with an entry in THE TIMES of 5th October, 1793:

" ..TRINITY HOUSE, London, Sept 30, 1793...

Notice is hereby given,that Alterations which have been making for some time past in the Old Coal Lighthouse at Orford, will be compleated, and Oil lights with Reflectors exhibited therein, on the 14th October next, at sun-setting, in order for it to be used as a low light to the new erected high Light-house there; and that the small light, which has been exhibited in its stead since the 6th of May last, will, from and after the said 14th October, be discontinued....."

Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:44 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

The Bell Rock is another lighthouse of note, attriibuted to either Rennie or Stevenson.

Also of note is Stevenson's rather famous grandson .... ;)

Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:44 pm
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

The Bell Rock is another lighthouse of note, attriibuted to either Rennie or Stevenson.

Also of note is Stevenson's rather famous grandson .... ;)

One of the programmes of the Seven Wonders of the Industrial World covers Stevenson building the Bell Rock Lighthouse. As an added bonus, it is narrated by Robert Lindsay, whose full name, coincidently, is Robert Lindsay Stevenson.....

Cheers

Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:25 am
Admin

As an added bonus, it is narrated by Robert Lindsay, whose full name, coincidently, is Robert Lindsay Stevenson.....

Do you know if he's related? That would be cool if he is.

Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:19 am
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

LizMc wrote:
As an added bonus, it is narrated by Robert Lindsay, whose full name, coincidently, is Robert Lindsay Stevenson.....

Do you know if he's related? That would be cool if he is.

I don't believe so......He has mentioned being an admirer of Robert Louis Stevenson, so I'm sure he would have mentioned it.

Cheers

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:07 am
Volunteer

Having fished in the area of the Eddystone lightouse, it always amazes me how even a simple wooden structure was built in such an exposed area - it can be a pretty bleak area in the wrong conditions - bravery or madness! a bit of both I should think.
The first stone lighthouse built there in 1759- Smeatons tower - which is now situated on Plymouth Hoe is the predecessor of the current Eddystone lighthouse - the top 70 feet were moved from the Eddystone when it was realised that although the lighthouse was in good condition, the part of the Eddystone reef it was built on was crumbling away. amazing to think that this was built even before Neslons time
On a clear day the 'stump' of the Smeatons tower can be seen from Plymouth Hoe alongside Douglass current lighthouse which was built in 1882.
I have nothing but admiration for the men who built these structures- with none of todays modern equipment.

Simon

Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:21 pm
Admin

...looking for something for one of Susan's questions, I found this link to Thames lights which may be of interest.

I'm particularly interested as my hubby and I have a little trip booked during the spring which involves leaving from and returning to a Thames port - Tilbury. I'll have to keep a lookout for those navigational aids. :)

Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:33 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

"..... In the Album at the Bell Rock Lighthouse are the following lines by Sir Walter Scott:-

'PHAROS LOQUITUR

Far in the bosom of the deep,
O'er these wild shelves my watch I keep;
A ruddy gem of changeful light,
Bound on the dusky brow of night:
The seaman bids my lustre hail,
And scorns to strike his timorous sail.

July 30, 1814
WALTER SCOTT ....' "

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:27 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

From The Times of October 4, 1819:

" ..... It is not generally known, that there is a light-house in Istria illuminated by gas, which is the first thing of the kind that was ever attempted. The light-house is situated on one of the three points of the Salvore, called Punta delle Mosche, 25 miles from Trieste. It was commenced in March, 1817; and in April 1818, the Adriatic was lighted with gas ..."

Some lighthouses on the Istrian peninsula. I wonder if the first one is the one mentioned in the report; some of the description fits.

Tue May 20, 2008 10:08 am
Profile YIM
Commander

Salvore is the one. The lantern in 1818 had three tiers of coal gas flames. However, it was not a success and the gas system was replaced in 1824 by a battery of lamps burning olive oil. There seem to have been problems with gas at this time such as supplying it to a rotating light without leaks and the difficulties of transporting quantities of coal for gas generation purposes and the employment of skilled men to operate the plant.

A gas powered light was installed at the Morro Castle at Havanna in 1818 but soon discontinued.

The first gas lighthouse seems to have been at Porkkala in Finland between 1800 and 1809. The gas was obtained from distillation of wood.

Tue May 20, 2008 10:48 pm
Admin

Salvore is the one. The lantern in 1818 had three tiers of coal gas flames. However, it was not a success and the gas system was replaced in 1824 by a battery of lamps burning olive oil. There seem to have been problems with gas at this time such as supplying it to a rotating light without leaks and the difficulties of transporting quantities of coal for gas generation purposes and the employment of skilled men to operate the plant.

A gas powered light was installed at the Morro Castle at Havanna in 1818 but soon discontinued.

The first gas lighthouse seems to have been at Porkkala in Finland between 1800 and 1809. The gas was obtained from distillation of wood.

Thanks, Peter, for your response. Did you sail those waters? Have you seen that particular lighthouse? The nearest I got was sailing (alas, not under sail) down from Venice last year, but after dark, but there were lots of lighthouses, so maybe I did see it without knowing. :D I can always hope.....

Wed May 21, 2008 4:56 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next