View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 New Cover Design for POB American Editions 
Admin

Post New Cover Design for POB American Editions
Has anyone seen the new cover design for the Norton editions of the POB books?

The one for Mauritius Command is...er...not very attractive, in my opinion. The sail is...green.
:shock:

Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:43 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Ain't that perfectly 'orrible! :roll: What have they done ruining those Hunt pictures!!

The new POB's here in the UK are much the same as they were; slightly wishy-washier in appearance but maintaining the same standard of artwork, IMO... e.g. old and new.

Incidentally, our version of the last one, The Final Unfinished Voyage of Jack Aubrey, has all the new designs inside the front and back boards. Is the US version, 21, similar in that respect?

Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:19 pm
Profile YIM
Volunteer

I must admit, VERY uninspiring covers - I always thought that Geoff Hunts artwork were the best part of the POB books (Sorry Mil!- I know we have 'slightly' differing views on him!) :wink:

Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:47 pm
Admin

Not to be outdone, here's the cover for a French POB omnibus edition: Les aventures de Jack Aubrey, Tome 5

Funky...

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:48 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Not to be outdone, here's the cover for a French POB omnibus edition: Les aventures de Jack Aubrey, Tome 5

Funky...

..... :? ... is there not a throwing-up emoticon available??!!!

Nothing in the world would attract me to buy that only from a collector's POV, which I am not, only an avid reader.

Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:31 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:50 am
Profile YIM
Admin

It's very Warhol-esque.

......it's 'orrible.... :?

Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:01 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Back on the subject of the POB book covers, Susan brought these two to my attention knowing full well I would feel nauseous at the very thought of those beautiful Geoff Hunt paintings being infiltrated upon.

Fortune of War

Desolation Island

It seems to be the current trend in book covers to have photographic images. I dislike them intensely where the face of the character is shown for, IMO, the beauty of reading is the ability to conjure up your own image of that character....something like the beauty of radio drama over that of television. In the case of these new POB covers, it would appear to me that whomsoever decided on the model had no conception of the appearance of Jack Aubrey......opinions?

Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:45 pm
Profile YIM

It seems to be the current trend in book covers to have photographic images. I dislike them intensely where the face of the character is shown for, IMO, the beauty of reading is the ability to conjure up your own image of that character....something like the beauty of radio drama over that of television. In the case of these new POB covers, it would appear to me that whomsoever decided on the model had no conception of the appearance of Jack Aubrey......opinions?

Sheer horror!

I agree that one of the great pleasures of reading is the exercise of the imagination. While photographs have their place, the front cover of a novel is not one of them, IMHO.

I had a strange experience recently, in reverse. My first exposure to Inspector Thomas Lynley was through the British TV series shown on my local PBS station. Lynley became locked into my mind as the dark-haired actor named Nathaniel Parker. Recently I read some of Elizabeth George's novels and discovered that Lynley was a blonde! Every time that is mentioned in the book, I return to reality abruptly. One of the reasons I like reading is the ability to escape into another world. I hate it when I am returned in such a manner.

Don

Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]