View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Books of Reference for the would-be..... 
Admin

Post Books of Reference for the would-be.....
From THE TIMES, December 15, 1835:

" ....The Naval Service, or Officers' Manual, for every Grade employed in His Majesty's Ships by Captain W.N. Glasocck, RN. ... Few except those who have paid particular attention to the subject, are aware of the amount of scientific acquirement, and of the great variety of knowledge, theoretical and practical, which a naval officer who hopes to distinguish himself in his profession ought to possess ...." It then goes on to list some of the chapter headings, e.g. Volunteer, Midshipman, Mates, Captain's Clerk, Assistant Surgeon etc. right through to the Captain himself and Naval Battles. It is then followed by an extract from some of the chapters.

Alas, there is no mention of the price. I've heard of this work of Glascock's before; does anyone know if it's been reprinted? Or is anyone fortunate enough to own copies of the original volumes of which there were two?

Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:25 pm
Profile YIM

Post Re: Books of Reference for the would-be.....
Mil Goose wrote:
From THE TIMES, December 15, 1835:

" ....The Naval Service, or Officers' Manual, for every Grade employed in His Majesty's Ships by Captain W.N. Glasocck, RN. ... Few except those who have paid particular attention to the subject, are aware of the amount of scientific acquirement, and of the great variety of knowledge, theoretical and practical, which a naval officer who hopes to distinguish himself in his profession ought to possess ...." It then goes on to list some of the chapter headings, e.g. Volunteer, Midshipman, Mates, Captain's Clerk, Assistant Surgeon etc. right through to the Captain himself and Naval Battles. It is then followed by an extract from some of the chapters.

Alas, there is no mention of the price. I've heard of this work of Glascock's before; does anyone know if it's been reprinted? Or is anyone fortunate enough to own copies of the original volumes of which there were two?

Mary, I went looking for the book you mentioned by William Nugent Glascock and found that he wrote at least four other books too. "Tales of a Tar" & "Sailors and Saints" & "Land Sharks and Sea-Gulls" (3 vols) were new to me too. There have been some posts here about his "Naval Sketch-Book" but I did not see many of these works available in reprints or any other format except for some expensive originals. I remember looking for a copy of the "Naval Sketch-Book" (2 vols) some time ago unsuccessfully. They all sound interesting.

Susan, you seem to have volume 1 of the "Naval Sketch-Book." Is it well written?

Don

Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:40 am
Admin

timoneer wrote:
Susan, you seem to have volume 1 of the "Naval Sketch-Book." Is it well written?

I have a physical copy of Volume 2 of the American edition. Glascock is okay. Not as skilled a writer as Basil Hall, in my biased opinion.

Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:08 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Quote:
....... Not as skilled a writer as Basil Hall, in my biased opinion

...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:25 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Speaking of Glascock, here is a quote from his Naval Sketch-Book (Volume I), commenting on the cost of books:

"The fact, however, is, that no officer, not a man of fortune, can afford to purchase books, indispensable for his professional information and improvement, at their present enormous cost. The worst is, the exorbitant price of £4. 14s. 6d. is justified on the grounds of the expense, labour, and pains bestowed on the drawings and surveys embodied in the work, when it is well known, that the surveys were contributed to it gratis, by officers sent out from the Admiralty for this express service; and that the drawings were executed by Captain Lyon, who most handsomely (though about to publish a book himself) made them a present to Captain Parry."

Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:49 am
Profile YIM
Admin

The Midshipman's Companion (1851) by Captain Francis Liardet.

Liardet's advice is written in the form of a series of letters, which seems to make the information more personal.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:59 pm
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Glascock's officer's manual is on Google Books: an 1836 volume 1, and an 1859 4th edition, which doesn't say which volume, but at this point maybe it was combined.
Just in case you were still looking for it :)

...life on land is DRY :(

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]