View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:48 pm



Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Books of Reference for the would-be..... 
Author Message
Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:02 am
Posts: 2747
Location: Cambridgeshire, England
Post Books of Reference for the would-be.....
From THE TIMES, December 15, 1835:

" ....The Naval Service, or Officers' Manual, for every Grade employed in His Majesty's Ships by Captain W.N. Glasocck, RN. ... Few except those who have paid particular attention to the subject, are aware of the amount of scientific acquirement, and of the great variety of knowledge, theoretical and practical, which a naval officer who hopes to distinguish himself in his profession ought to possess ...." It then goes on to list some of the chapter headings, e.g. Volunteer, Midshipman, Mates, Captain's Clerk, Assistant Surgeon etc. right through to the Captain himself and Naval Battles. It is then followed by an extract from some of the chapters.

Alas, there is no mention of the price. I've heard of this work of Glascock's before; does anyone know if it's been reprinted? Or is anyone fortunate enough to own copies of the original volumes of which there were two?

_________________
- Mil -
aka Mary ....


Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:25 pm
Profile YIM
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:34 am
Posts: 1471
Location: Virginia, USA
Post Re: Books of Reference for the would-be.....
Mil Goose wrote:
From THE TIMES, December 15, 1835:

" ....The Naval Service, or Officers' Manual, for every Grade employed in His Majesty's Ships by Captain W.N. Glasocck, RN. ... Few except those who have paid particular attention to the subject, are aware of the amount of scientific acquirement, and of the great variety of knowledge, theoretical and practical, which a naval officer who hopes to distinguish himself in his profession ought to possess ...." It then goes on to list some of the chapter headings, e.g. Volunteer, Midshipman, Mates, Captain's Clerk, Assistant Surgeon etc. right through to the Captain himself and Naval Battles. It is then followed by an extract from some of the chapters.

Alas, there is no mention of the price. I've heard of this work of Glascock's before; does anyone know if it's been reprinted? Or is anyone fortunate enough to own copies of the original volumes of which there were two?

Mary, I went looking for the book you mentioned by William Nugent Glascock and found that he wrote at least four other books too. "Tales of a Tar" & "Sailors and Saints" & "Land Sharks and Sea-Gulls" (3 vols) were new to me too. There have been some posts here about his "Naval Sketch-Book" but I did not see many of these works available in reprints or any other format except for some expensive originals. I remember looking for a copy of the "Naval Sketch-Book" (2 vols) some time ago unsuccessfully. They all sound interesting.

Susan, you seem to have volume 1 of the "Naval Sketch-Book." Is it well written?

Don


Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:40 am
Profile
Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:32 pm
Posts: 2960
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Books of Reference for the would-be.....
timoneer wrote:
Susan, you seem to have volume 1 of the "Naval Sketch-Book." Is it well written?

I have a physical copy of Volume 2 of the American edition. Glascock is okay. Not as skilled a writer as Basil Hall, in my biased opinion.

_________________
I have the honour to be, &c.
susan


Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:08 am
Profile YIM
Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:02 am
Posts: 2747
Location: Cambridgeshire, England
Post Re: Books of Reference for the would-be.....
Quote:
....... Not as skilled a writer as Basil Hall, in my biased opinion



...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
- Mil -
aka Mary ....


Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:25 am
Profile YIM
Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:32 pm
Posts: 2960
Location: Hawaii
Post 
Speaking of Glascock, here is a quote from his Naval Sketch-Book (Volume I), commenting on the cost of books:

"The fact, however, is, that no officer, not a man of fortune, can afford to purchase books, indispensable for his professional information and improvement, at their present enormous cost. The worst is, the exorbitant price of £4. 14s. 6d. is justified on the grounds of the expense, labour, and pains bestowed on the drawings and surveys embodied in the work, when it is well known, that the surveys were contributed to it gratis, by officers sent out from the Admiralty for this express service; and that the drawings were executed by Captain Lyon, who most handsomely (though about to publish a book himself) made them a present to Captain Parry."

_________________
I have the honour to be, &c.
susan


Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:49 am
Profile YIM
Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:32 pm
Posts: 2960
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Books of Reference for the would-be.....
The Midshipman's Companion (1851) by Captain Francis Liardet.

Liardet's advice is written in the form of a series of letters, which seems to make the information more personal.

_________________
I have the honour to be, &c.
susan


Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:59 pm
Profile YIM
Lieutenant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:27 am
Posts: 108
Location: East of everywhere, Canada
Post Re: Books of Reference for the would-be.....
Glascock's officer's manual is on Google Books: an 1836 volume 1, and an 1859 4th edition, which doesn't say which volume, but at this point maybe it was combined.
Just in case you were still looking for it :)

_________________
Alison

...life on land is DRY :(


Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:43 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.