View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Telescope Holder and Other Inventions 
Admin

Post Telescope Holder and Other Inventions
I was reading about Lord John Hay, when I came across the information that he had been awarded a silver medal by the Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures, and Commerce for his invention of a telescope holder for people who had only one hand/arm. I did a quick search on the Net to see if I could find any more information about the telescope holder, but didn't come up with anything substantial.

Does anyone know more about it?

Note: Lord Hay lost his left arm during a cutting out expedition in Hyères Bay early on in his career.

Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:12 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

The Times, December 27th, 1817:

" .... NEW AND USEFUL MARINE INVENTION. A student of the upper class of the new school* of naval architecture at the Dock-yard at Portsmouth, has invented a means of drawing vessels up the slip of the ways for their repair, in a manner to prevent the action of adhesion, friction, &c., and to save all the expense and avoid all the risks they occasion. The model of this plan is now submitted to the examination of the proper and competent persons in the naval department; by some of whom it is already thought well of, and deemed valuable. This is the first important invention or discovery by any student of this national establishment; if it have the merit and value, and meet with proper encouragement, distinction, and reward, it will have the good effect, not only of a stimulus to this promising young man, but to all the others of this foundation, and prove the spur of their exertion to improve in faculty, and a call and encouragement to the industry and genius of all - the important object of this new and useful branch of education and study, in which so much is still wanted among a people with whom the practice of navigation is so extensive, and its improvement and perfection so indispensible for them, in the novel and powerful competition they have now to expect from their contemporaries of both hemispheres. ...."

* Portsmouth Dockyard School

Does anyone know who the "young man" was, or have more details of his invention?

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:19 am
Profile YIM
Admin

The Times, December 18th, 1789:

" .... A Captain in the Navy, of a very ingenious turn, has invented an apparatus, by wich he will undertake to convey a vessel from Dover to Calais, and back again in three hours. He has constructed a small model, which he purposes to lay, in a few days, before the Royal Society. This curious apparatus is calculated for any weather, and will act against a very heavy sea. ...."

Can anyone add anything to this, please? ...e.g. elaborate on the invention, if it was used, or, perhaps,who the man with an "ingenious turn" was.

Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:10 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Post Re: Telescope Holder and Other Inventions
According to items I have come across, Joseph Needham Tayler was involved with designing and constructing floating breakwaters as a more economical alternative to fixed stone breakwaters.

He also developed improved gun sights as well as a transporting carriage for ships' guns when they were taken ashore for use on land.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:56 am
Profile YIM
Admin

The Times, April 3rd, 1821:

" ...... His Majesty's ship Seringapatam, at Plymouth, is fitted with an iron mast, and a newly invented capstan, said to be of four times the power of those now in use. Some persons entertain a fear that the iron mast will be found dangerous by attracting lightning; but the prevailing opinion is decidedly in favour of its adoption. - Exeter Gazette ...."

Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:13 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Mil Goose wrote:
His Majesty's ship Seringapatam, at Plymouth, is fitted with an iron mast, and a newly invented capstan, said to be of four times the power of those now in use.

Only one mast was iron? I wonder which one it was and why only one. Did the article say whether it was the first time an iron mast was tried out?

Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:32 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]