View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Women, Love & Marriage 
Admin

Post Women, Love & Marriage
A new topic inspired by a chat with Liz.

To start things off, here's a bit from Frederick Chamier's The Life of a Sailor:

"I am, however, much afraid, from some circumstances which have occurred, that I possess one of those quicksilver hearts on which no permanent foundation can be laid. I certainly have been a particular admirer of beauty; and while I join cordially in the opinion of Lord Byron, that 'a pretty woman is a welcome guest,' I will not answer for my constancy, if another fairer object should accidentally appear. But in a sailor's life love should never appear: we are, I believe, generally reckoned the best husbands; but as for constancy, when the wide Atlantic rolls between the divided hearts, it might be a very good subject for rhyme, but a very poor one for reason."

At least the fellow is honest. :lol:

Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:37 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

For those fellows without a wife and/or sweetheart...

This from Harris's List of Covent-Garden Ladies (1790):

Miss Wh—te, No. 13, Lisle-street, Leicester-fields.

Give me a son of Neptune for my friend,
And all my fears and cares will shortly end.

Here is a pretty genteel figure, about twenty. Her complexion is rather fair, although her hair and eyes are dark. Her teeth are but mediocre any more than her temper. She has had a tolerable good trade since the conclusion of the peace, as most of her customers being in the nautical line, their absence was very sensibly felt by her; but now she has recovered from some embarrassments, which the deadness of trade had thrown her into, and she rejoices to hear a jolly tar rap or ring at her door, which she flies to open herself, as she does not like to let his courage cool by waiting for the servant. Her usual price is one pound one, for a single bout, but for a whole night's enjoyment, double that sum no one can begrudge.

:shock:

Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:57 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

From Volume I of Memoir of the Life of Admiral Sir Edward Codrington (1873), in a letter to his wife dated 4 Oct 1805:

"Peace, peace, is the anxious cry here. Hope has been fourteen months at home in these eight years; and Captain Rutherford told us yesterday, declaring that it was d—d foolish for a sailor to marry—that he had been in that happy state for nine years, one only of which had he been with his wife!"

Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:30 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Sounds like Nelson tried to keep Lady N happy....spotted in today's online Telegraph about his bank account.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:55 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

From Volume III of James Scott's Recollections of a Naval Life:

"Delightful as was the society of the charming M-rg-ta and M-q-ta to the lieutenants and officers of his Majesty's ship Grampus, and convinced as I am at all times of the magical powers of the fair sex in calling forth all that is good and great in man, devotedly as I admire and prize them, I much doubt whether I should covet the presence of such an enchantress as M-rg-ta on board my ship, to ignite the upper works of inflammable lieutenants and midshipmen."

The two ladies were part of a family (daughters) offered passage to England in Grampus.

Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:30 am
Profile YIM
Admin

From Francis V. Vernon's Voyages and Travels of a Sea Officer:

"Our ship's [Terrible] company could now revel in the delights of Portsmouth, and filled the ship with hundreds of those obliging females, who desert the capital during the war, and reside in the genteel recesses of Portsmouth and other naval towns. The back of the point at Portsmouth has been famous some centuries, and the appearance of its fair inhabitants serves as a barometer, whereby our success against the enemy can in some degree be ascertained, for captures produce money, and this circulating, passes from the seaman to his lass, who being lavish in expence, gives room by the flash of her appearance and dress, to point out the strength of Jack's purse."

Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:37 am
Profile YIM
Admin

From a letter from Captain George Duff to his wife Sophia from the Naval Chronicle (Volume XV):

"I long much to be with you all, and to see our young Miss Anne [baby daughter]. We are now very old married folks: this day [6 May 1805] 14 years was the first time I could claim you as my own, and we have had very little of one another's society since we have married. This war must soon have an end, when I hope to remain with you altogether; for we are now become rather an old couple, and do not wish for a change: Indeed I do not think it ever was our wish, I may say, since we first knew each other. I frequently recollect with pleasure our playing together when at school, at my father's. In short, it requires every thing here to keep one's spirits up, so far from those we love."

Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:51 am
Profile YIM
Admin

From Sir Herbert Sawyer's obituary in The Gentleman's Magazine (Mar 1834):

"Captain Sawyer [father of the subject of the obituary] of the Active frigate, and Captain Pownall of the Favorite sloop, paid their addresses at the same time to two sisters and were favourably received by them; but their father, a merchant of immense property at Lisbon, although sensible of their personal merit, objected to their want of fortune and desired that they would discontinue their courtship until their circumstances were much improved; which was shortly the case by the prize money gained by the capture of the Hermione, a Spanish register ship, in 1762. Soon after the earthquake happened at Lisbon, and deprived the merchant of all his property. The generous Captains immediately on hearing it, repaired to that place, where yielding to the full and noble gratification of love and friendship, they settled an annuity on the father and married his daughters."

Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:18 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Although the following is from a novel, The Petrel, by William Fisher, I thought I'd include it here since Fisher was an officer in the RN:

"But, indeed, quarter-deck etiquette itself, though so stern and unbending to man, that a highly distinguished Governor-General, on his passage to India, is known to have been publicly reproved for a slight violation of it, has never yet presumed to resist the will and pleasure of woman. So submissive is it known to be to petticoat government, that it has been deemed necessary to forbid any married Captain of a man-of-war, taking his liege lady to sea with him; a regulation still in force."

Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:51 am
Profile YIM
Admin

From Lady Nugent's Journal edited by Frank Cundall:

"Embarked on board the Ambuscade frigate, of 36 guns. The yards were manned, and we were received on the quarter-deck by Captain Colville, all his officers, and many other gentlemen. Mrs. Colville accompanied us on board, and I felt for her in parting with her husband; but they seemed to me to take leave with more good breeding and politeness than affection; so my commiseration was quite thrown away."

"All seem happy and comfortable; only the poor maids don't like their bedroom, it is so open to the inspection of the ship's company, &c. who are constantly peeping at them."

Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:34 am
Profile YIM
Admin

The Times, July 24, 1804:

" ... A young Dutch Lady, who resided at Rotterdam, lately fell in love with Sir Sidney Smith, and wrote to him a letter containng an offer of her hand and fortune. It appears that she had never seen Sir Sidney. The letter having arrived at Flushing by the Mail, it was delivered to the French General Monnet, and the Lady was arrested in consequence. ...."

Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:56 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

I was looking at the blurb about Henry Evelyn Pitfield Sturt in Marshall when I came across this:

"Captain Sturt married a Portuguese lady, whom he had assisted in her flight from a convent in one of the Western Islands."

Does anyone know the story behind this?

Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:20 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Jack Oakham throwing out a Signal for an Engagement

Jack on a Cruise. Avast there - Back your Mainsail

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:42 am
Profile YIM
Admin

The Times, September 13th, 1785:

" .... On Tuesday last James Burney, Esq. Captain of the Royal Navy, was married at Chaffington, Surrey, to Miss Sally Payne, daughter of Mr Thomas Payne, bookseller. ....."

Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:15 am
Profile YIM
Admin

The Times, June 13th, 1786:

" .... On Thursday was married at Liverpool, Geo. Palmer, Esq. commander of the Perseus frigate, to Miss Smith, daughter of Richard Smith, Esq. of his Majesty's navy. ...."

Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:50 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next