View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Naval Artists 
Admin

Post Naval Artists
Here's a page about Sir Charles Burrard. He was a cousin of Mil's favorite Sir Harry Burrard Neale.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:16 am
Profile YIM
Admin

I like this painting done by George Back: An Iceberg, a Ship and Some Walrus near the Entrance of Hudson Strait

Here is a list of more paintings by Back. The ones marked with "[EQ]" are accessible on line.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:04 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

...if ever a painting conveyed intense cold, that one does. I'm no connoisseur of art - I only know what I like and dislike - but what wonderful shades of colour and light he has used.

Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:27 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Thinking about it, I think I like that particular Back painting because it reminds me of Roger Dean's work. But I digress...:D

Mil, I agree with you about his use of color. Also, his composition is very good. It creates a bit of tension. The iceberg is imposing yet it makes one wonder if it is fragile enough for bits to break off and endanger the ship. The walrus are like observers waiting to see what will happen.

Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:53 am
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Going somewhat off topic, if you want artists who manage to portray cold, there was Lawren Harris, one of the Group of Seven. Here is one of my favourites: http://www.tomthomson.org/collections/c ... ImageID=84

We Canadians know about cold.......

Cheers

Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:32 pm
Admin

Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:54 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Sketch by Basil Hall (used camera lucida): Rudder of the Royal George 30th May 1840

Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:36 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Sketch by Basil Hall (used camera lucida): Rudder of the Royal George 30th May 1840

.... what a coincidence that you should post that as I was reading in The Times, of June 3, 1817:

" ...... the wreck of the Royal George, at Portsmouth was examined several times last week, in the diving bell, so that the most decided judgement may be formed as to the best means to adopt for breaking her in pieces. It appears on an inspection of her more interior parts, that the timbers, which have fallen in collapsed, and prevented the constant action of the tides upon them, have so strongly imbibed the more corruptive ingredients of the water and mud, that they are reduced to a fungus state, and emit the most offensive smell. One of the channel and chain-plates have been brought up and conveyed to the Dock-yard - Hampshire Telegraph ..."

The report is accompanied by a "private letter" which is too lengthy to type up, but if anyone is interested, I will gladly forward the article from The Times on to them.

p.s. ... just a thought; I suppose it is the same vessel? I assume that it is because of her being at Portsmouth.

Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:22 am
Profile YIM
Admin

p.s. ... just a thought; I suppose it is the same vessel? I assume that it is because of her being at Portsmouth.

I believe so. A bit about the divers in this thread.

Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:52 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Post Lt Owen Stanley

Lt Owen Stanley

As you do, while trawling for one thing you find another and I was fascinated by this one of HMS Terror stuck in the ice and the innovative buildings they erected around her. It looks fun - (for a day.... :wink: )

Being no expert, I had not heard of Owen so I was interested to see that the NMM collection online has several of his: to view more.

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:23 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Post Re: Lt Owen Stanley
Mil Goose wrote:

Lt Owen Stanley

As you do, while trawling for one thing you find another and I was fascinated by this one of HMS Terror stuck in the ice and the innovative buildings they erected around her. It looks fun - (for a day.... :wink: )

Being no expert, I had not heard of Owen so I was interested to see that the NMM collection online has several of his: to view more.

.... further to the above: bio for Stanley.

Mention of the Rattlesnake sent me off to my bookshelves where I realised I have Goodman's The Rattlesnake which, as yet, is unread but, on investigation, reveals several paintings by Stanley.

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:48 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Perilous position of H.M.S. 'Terror', Captain Back, in the Arctic Regions in the summer of 1837
Watercolors

Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:21 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

I'll look for more online samples of his work, as he did drawings when he was serving with Sir George Cockburn in Northumberland and with Sir John Ross and Sir William Edward Parry during their arctic voyages.

Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:51 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Two schooners, close-hauled, with a small boat by Charles Philip Butler Bateman.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:53 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]