View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Theater 
Admin

What a splendid affair thay must have been and what a sght to behold.

susan wrote:

Mil...note the play... :lol:

....... ;)

..... and, if I may add something of a local nature at this point, please: Goldsmith & Lumpkin and the Wisbech connection. I had hoped to go along and see the play, but, alas, did not.

Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:17 am
Profile YIM
Admin

A bit after our time period, but thought I'd post it anyway:

The "Theatre" on board HMS "Alert", British Arctic Expedition, 1875-1876

Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:12 am
Profile YIM
Admin

The Times, August 10th, 1809:

" ... In no instance of our recollection has any piece brought out of so attractive a nature, as the new Melodrama at the Royal Circus. The interest is continued from the rising to the falling of the curatin; the dresses and decorations are of the most correct kind; and the attempt to shew the broadside section of a ship of war, with the weighing the anchor, and setting sail, is without comparison the boldest effort of scenic mechanism that was ever produced on any stage. We understand that it is executed by Mr Brandscomb, and certainly does him credit. ..."

...... sounds better than the telly! :D

Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:22 am
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Nelson was a great theatre-goer, not least, I suspect, because of the rapturous applause he received whenever he did so. This report published in The Times on 3 September 1802, gives a flavour of these occasions:

Birmingham, 31 August

Lord Nelson, Sir William and Lady Hamilton etc. arrived at the place yesterday, previous to which they were anxiously expected. It was speedily announced, after the Hero's entrance to the Hotel, that he would honour the theatre with his presence the same evening. The performances were 'the Merry Wives of Windsor' and 'Perouse'......The moment Lord Nelson and his friends entered the stage box.....the shouts of applause were loud, incessant and heartfelt, while the band struck up 'Rule Britannia,' to which the performers in the audience gave loud chorus. Two new songs were introduced in the course of the evening, conveying some happy allusions to the occasion, but nothing had more effect than the part of the play where Falstaff.....says, 'before the best Lord in the land I swear it', pointing his hand towards Lord Nelson's box. The audience instantly caught it and renewed their plaudits.'

The report continues, describing the party's journey back to the hotel, their carriage drawn by local men amid loud 'huzzas' and flaming torches. etc..... and apparently, they all enjoyed it so much that the party returned the following night to see another play.[/i][/b]

Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:22 pm
Admin

The Times, May 9th, 1801:

" .... The correct and beautiful representation of the late Naval Victory, at the Royal Crcus, St George's Fields, certainly outstrips all competition - the Mechanism of the Seventy-four defies all rivalship ...."

Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:27 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

The Times, March 16th, 1789:

" .... The Death of Capt. Cook, which is to be exhibited this evening at Covent Garden, we are informed is now performing at Paris, with much eclat - the story is feelingly told, and is a miniature of the celebrated work with which the public has been sometime past entertained, in a more voluminus state. It is well spoken of. ..."

Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:31 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

From the Army and Navy Chronicle (5 Oct 1837) - Vol. V No. 14:

"One night early this week, the corps dramatique of the Concord sloop of war, invited as many of the crew of each ship of the squadron [at Pensacola] as could be spared from duty, to witness the representation of the tragedy of Douglass, together with a considerable flourish of songs, interlude, and all that; the whole to conclude with the laughable and much admired farce of the Lying Varlet; all of which was regularly set down in the bill of the play, drawn out in a very neat and clerkly hand. ...Some little delay occurred, growing out, perhaps, of adjusting the attire of Lady Randolph to the somewhat too muscular proportions of Mr. Thomas Ginter, or some such untoward cause; but at length the little bell began to tinkle, and all was attention. The curtain rose to the admiring eyes of four or five hundred spectators, consisting entirely of the crews of the different ships....

"Among the entertainments of the evening, between the play and afterpiece, all hands were piped to grog....

"These entertainments are highly creditable, not only to the men by whom they are gotten up, but to the officers also, without whose permission and assistance nothing of the kind could of course be attempted."

Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:56 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2