View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Shore Leave 
Admin

Post Shore Leave
From Frederick W. Beechy's Narrative of a Voyage to the Pacific and Beering's Strait:

"Horses were fortunately very cheap, from nine shillings to seven pounds apiece, so that riding became a favourite amusement; and the Spaniards finding they could make a good market by letting out their stud, appeared with them every Sunday opposite the ship, ready saddled for the occasion, as this was a day on which I allowed every man to go out of the ship." (this was in San Francisco)

"Such of the seamen as would not venture on horseback made parties to visit the presidio and mission, where they found themselves welcome guests with the Spanish soldiers."

Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:20 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

From Volume III of James Scott's Recollections of a Naval Life:

"The amusements [at Lisbon] were as multifarious and variable as the most sickly fancy could well desire: horse-racing, shooting, fishing, opera, balls and parties, cum multis aliis. All the roses of the service were to be collected here without any of its thorns..."

Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:09 am
Profile YIM
Midshipman

A random sort of question, but here it is:

I have actually never read of the particulars encompassing a commissioned officer's shore leave. Was there a certain amount of time given to him, or was he expected back aboard once instructions to leave port were given?

Just wondering.

Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:43 pm
Admin

I'm not sure if there was an official regulation (would have to check). Maybe someone else knows offhand?

In the accounts I have read, leave seemed to be granted at the discretion of the person's commanding officer. The time period depended on the circumstances.

Quote:
was he expected back aboard once instructions to leave port were given

Yes. However, if the ship was given orders to sail immediately, she would depart without the officer on leave and it was up to that officer to catch up with her. For example, James Scott was on leave for a week and his ship sailed without him (he was the first lieutenant). He had to take passage in another navy ship to Lisbon, where he found he had just missed her because she had sailed back to England. He went aboard again when she returned to Lisbon.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:35 pm
Profile YIM
Midshipman

Poor fellow. Thank you so much, though- this is extremely helpful!

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:00 pm
Admin

From Maritime Scraps, or Scenes in the Frigate United States During a Cruise in the Mediterranean (1838) by a "Man-of-War's Man," some popular places to hang out while on leave in Mahon:

"The most distinguished fortresses are favorably known by the following titles: Codfish Bills; Sloam's; Jim Hyall's; Mother Ryley's; Tom Trust's; Jack Straw's; the Famous House of Blazors; Jacknife Hotel; and last, though not least, The Sailor's Last Push. This last rendezvous is situated on the beach, directly abreast the naval shipping...the mariner never fails to patronize the bar in taking his last 'nip'..."

Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:55 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:15 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]