View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Duels 
Admin

Post Duels
Mil's post in the Christmas thread prompted me to start this one. There are numerous accounts of duels, some over matters that seem trivial. More later when I have a moment. In the meantime, please jump in if you have anything you'd like to share.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:31 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Post James Barron and Stephen Decatur
While this page is primarily a biographic sketch of Stephen Decatur, there are interesting excerpts from the letters he and James Barron exchanged before their duel.

Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:16 am
Profile YIM
Admin

It appears from reports in THE TIMES that names of the protagonists were not alway revealed. The following is from the May 31, 1791 edition.

" ... Tuesday morning a duel was fought on Blackheath, between Mr T.... B ... N....y, a Cheshire Gentleman, and Mr J.... R.....n, son of H..... R......n, Esq. near Ipswich, both of the Royal Navy. After firing two rounds without effect, the seconds interfered, and attempted a reconciliation, but in vain; when Mr R..... fired again, after which Mr N..... fired into the air, and the dispute ended. It arose from the former calling Mr N.... a coward .... "

It would be fun trying to identify them. I, alas, cannot produce the report as it appeared in the newpaper, and the amount of dots ( ... ) are not indicative of the missing letters of the alphabet.

Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:15 am
Profile YIM
Admin

" ..... On Tuesday a Duel was fought near Portsmouth, between Mr ROWORTH and Mr BLACK, two midshipmen of the Proserpine frigate; after firing a round each, the affair was amicably terminated. ..."

Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:21 pm
Profile YIM
Commander

I recently read an account of a Christmas Day affair of honor between midshipmen. One refused to accept the challenge of the other, who was well in his cups, and midshipman No. 2 proceeded to arm himself with a pistol, cause quite a row and attempt to shoot Middie No. 1 in the wardroom (yes, the term used was wardroom). He succeeded, however, in shooting the commanding officer who was leaving the table to investigate the ruckus, killing him.
I do not have the exact account to hand, or I would provide it as related. There was a court martial, of course, and if I recall correctly, middie No. 2 was dismissed the service and sentenced to Marshalsea Prison for murder.
Charity

Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:28 am

Wasn't there an account here somewhere of a court martial concerning a duel resulting from a fight between the dogs of two officers? I cannot seem to find it, but I know I have read it somewhere in the past year.

Don

Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:37 am
Admin

Here's the thread about the duel over the dogs.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:15 am
Profile YIM
Admin

I recently read an account of a Christmas Day affair of honor between midshipmen.

Mil posted it in the Christmas thread here.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:26 am
Profile YIM
Admin

" ....Yesterday morning early a duel was fought in Hyde Park, between a Captain R-----s, of the Sea Service, and an American Gentleman of the name of S----n; when Captain R. received a slight wound on the thigh by Mr. S----n's first fire; but on firing their pistols a second tie, Mr S----n fell by receiving a shot in the groin, which is thought to be dangerous. The cause of their quarrel was Mr. S---n's making free with the character of an American Lady now in England, of repute, which the other resented..."

Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:16 pm
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

THE TIMES, May 10 1788

" ....Yesterday morning early a duel was fought in Hyde Park, between a Captain R-----s, of the Sea Service, and an American Gentleman of the name of S----n; when Captain R. received a slight wound on the thigh by Mr. S----n's first fire; but on firing their pistols a second tie, Mr S----n fell by receiving a shot in the groin, which is thought to be dangerous. The cause of their quarrel was Mr. S---n's making free with the character of an American Lady now in England, of repute, which the other resented..."

From the sound of this, I doubt if Mr S---N made free with any Lady after the duel.

Cheers

Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:09 pm
Admin

From the sound of this, I doubt if Mr S---N made free with any Lady after the duel.

LOL!

Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:59 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

From the Annual Register (Vol. 56, 1814), an account of a duel dated May 31.

The duel stemmed from comments a Lieutenant Cecil made about Captain Stackpole of the Statira. Cecil made the comments to another officer and they eventually reached the ear of Stackpole. Stackpole vowed that he would confront Cecil when he met him. This did not happen for four years. The duel finally took place on 23 Apr 1814. Stackpole, who was "reputed throughout the navy as a good shot, and had been the friend and companion of Lord Camelford*" was killed.

*This says something about Stackpole. The company you keep...

Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:28 am
Profile YIM
Admin

From The Times (with thanks to Mil ! :D ) of 8 Jan 1805:

"On Friday last a meeting took place near Plymouth, between Captain G— and Lieutenant R—, both of the Royal Navy, when after exchanging shots, happily without effect, the seconds interfered, and amicably adjusted the dispute. The following is said to have been the cause of the duel: Lieut. R. had dreamed three successive nights, that a certain Number would be a Prize of Twenty five Thousand Pounds in the ensuing Lottery, which he mentioned to Captain G. but never intimated any intention of having that Ticket; he, however, wrote up to his agent in London to procure it, who found the Captain was before-hand with him, as he had got it the day before, and refused to give it up. By the intercession of the seconds, it is settled that they are each to have half the Ticket, and as they are both very meritorious Officers, we sincerely wish they may have one of the numerous Capital Prizes with which the Scheme abounds."

Wonder if they won anything?

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:25 am
Profile YIM
Admin

From The Times (with thanks to Mil ! :D ) of 8 Jan 1805:

"On Friday last a meeting took place near Plymouth, between Captain G— and Lieutenant R—, both of the Royal Navy, when after exchanging shots, happily without effect, the seconds interfered, and amicably adjusted the dispute. The following is said to have been the cause of the duel: Lieut. R. had dreamed three successive nights, that a certain Number would be a Prize of Twenty five Thousand Pounds in the ensuing Lottery, which he mentioned to Captain G. but never intimated any intention of having that Ticket; he, however, wrote up to his agent in London to procure it, who found the Captain was before-hand with him, as he had got it the day before, and refused to give it up. By the intercession of the seconds, it is settled that they are each to have half the Ticket, and as they are both very meritorious Officers, we sincerely wish they may have one of the numerous Capital Prizes with which the Scheme abounds."

Wonder if they won anything?

....interesting one, Susan.....pity there is not a follow-up to see if it was worth fighting about. :)

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:30 am
Profile YIM
Admin

While looking for the date duelling was outlawed, found this bit:

BETWEEN CAPT. E. PELLEW AND LIEUT. I.M. NORTHEY.
June, 1789.

A duel was fought at Exeter, in consequence of a previous dispute, between Captain Edward Pellew of the navy, and Lieutenant I.M. Northey. The former was attended to the field by Captain Reynolds; the latter, by his brother, Thomas Northey, Esq. The parties took their ground at twelve paces; and a signal being given, they both fired, when Lieutenant Northey's ball passed through his opponent's coat. A second signal being given, as agreed, both parties reserved their fire. An explanation between the friends took place, and the matter was settled to the satisfaction and honour of all parties. To prevent misrepresentation, the foregoing account is published by the seconds.

The above is from The History of Duelling (1841) by John Gideon Millingen.

Does anyone know what the issue between them was?

Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:28 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next