View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Sports 
Admin

Post Sports
From the July 1831 United Service Journal:

"The Naval and Military Officers stationed at Portsmouth, have commenced their cricket meetings with great spirits. We find that the ladies residing in that neighbourhood have subscribed for a bat to be presented to the Member of the Garrison Cricket Club who can make the greatest number of runs during the next three months; and many are the speculations as to who will be the successful candidate."

Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:59 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Post Re: Sports
susan wrote:
From the July 1831 United Service Journal:

"The Naval and Military Officers stationed at Portsmouth, have commenced their cricket meetings with great spirits. We find that the ladies residing in that neighbourhood have subscribed for a bat to be presented to the Member of the Garrison Cricket Club who can make the greatest number of runs during the next three months; and many are the speculations as to who will be the successful candidate."

....Cricket!!!! Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:17 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:21 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Speaking of sport at sea, shark fishing seemed to be a popular one. I've seen it mentioned in a few places.

Also just came across a game called "sling the monkey." Has anyone else heard of it? There is a description of it, which I will type up and post later on.

Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:25 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Post Sling the Monkey
susan wrote:
Speaking of sport at sea, shark fishing seemed to be a popular one. I've seen it mentioned in a few places.

Also just came across a game called "sling the monkey." Has anyone else heard of it? There is a description of it, which I will type up and post later on.

I came across this illustration on the NMM site .... and that's the pensioners playing it! :D

... and here's another - scroll down a little....

Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:58 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Here's the description from Nights at Sea by the Old Sailor:

"Sling the monkey is a favourite pastime amongst seamen. A rope with a noose in the lower end is suspended from one of the yards, the main or fore; the 'monkey' passees the noose round his body below his arm-pits, and sufficient slack is left from aloft for the monkey to chase his tormentors, who gathered round him with knotted handkerchiefs, pieces of rope, &c. which they do not fail to lay on pretty smartly at every opportunity. The only defence of the monkey is a piece of chalk, and if he can mark any of his assailants with it, they are immediately transferred to the slings. The greatest humour of the game is that the monkey, in the eager pursuit of his foes, very frequently loses sight of discretion, and runs with such speed as to throw himself entirely off his balance, (the rope being nearly perpendicular, and affording but little check,) he swings up, and then comes bodily down again, when he gets a tremendous buffetting from the rest."

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:49 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Er...cockroach racing anyone? From The Memoirs of Admiral Lord Charles Beresford:

"The midshipmen's mess was so small, that there was no room for chairs. We sat on lockers, and in order to reach the farther side, we must walk across the table. One of our amusements in this tiny cabin was racing cockroaches, which were numerous. We used to drop a bit of melted tallow from a purser's dip upon their backs, plant in it a piece of spun-yarn, light the spun-yarn, and away they would go from one end of the table to the other. There was once a cockroach—but not in the Clio—which escaped, its light still burning, and set the ship on fire." (Yikes!)

Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:56 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Er...cockroach racing anyone? From The Memoirs of Admiral Lord Charles Beresford:

"The midshipmen's mess was so small, that there was no room for chairs. We sat on lockers, and in order to reach the farther side, we must walk across the table. One of our amusements in this tiny cabin was racing cockroaches, which were numerous. We used to drop a bit of melted tallow from a purser's dip upon their backs, plant in it a piece of spun-yarn, light the spun-yarn, and away they would go from one end of the table to the other.

..... poor little things!!! (Mind you, I don't live in a cockroach world....)

Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:19 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Cricket, and some more from William Hoste*, speaking of the community of Lissa, on the island of the same name, in the Adriatic.

" ..... There was little recreation beyond swimming, fishing and walking in the terraced vine-yards above the little town. Then it was noticed that the promontory, forming one side of a little bay which had already been named English Harbour, and on which stood the campanile and church of a sixteenth-century Franciscan monastery, offered enough flat land for a game of cricket. Ned Hoste, who had re-joined his brother ('My dear boy Ned ... grows tall; but, like myself is one of Pharaoh's lean kine'.) became captain of the Amphion's Eleven.

'We have established a cricket-club at this wretched place," wrote Hoste, 'and when we do get anchored for a few hours, it passes away an hour very well. Teddy is the head of the party.' ....."

* Pocock's Remember Nelson - The Life of Sir William Hoste

Note: Young Edward Hoste was a midshipman on his brother's ship.

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:07 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Albatross fishing from James Clark Ross' A Voyage of Discovery and Research in the Southern and Antarctic Regions, During the Years 1839-43:

"The gigantic albatross (Diomedea exulans) was seen in great numbers, and many of them taken by means of a fishing-line, as were also some of the prettily speckled Cape pigeon (Procellaria capensis), and several other kinds of petrel..."

Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:20 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Cricket on Ice

Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:34 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Look Mil! Here's one you'll like.

Cricket on Ice

....thanks....never seen it played on ice; we have some rough summers from time to time, but not that cold!!! :lol:

Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:48 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

I found text to go with the image of the cricket on ice!

From Parry's Journal of a Second Voyage for the Discovery of a North-west Passage from the Atlantic to the Pacific:

"The weather was now so pleasant, and the temperature in the sun so comfortable to the feelings, when a shelter could be found from the wind, that we set up various games for the people, such as cricket, foot-ball, and quoit's, which some of them played for many hours during the day."

Parry notes that the temperature in the sun was 18°.

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:11 am
Profile YIM
Admin

From What is a Googly? The Mysteries of Cricket Explained by Robert Eastway:

".....1796. A team of one-legged Greenwich pensioners beat a team of one-armed Greenwich pensioners by 103 runs ....."

I'd like to have seen that match..... :)

Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:54 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

".....1796. A team of one-legged Greenwich pensioners beat a team of one-armed Greenwich pensioners by 103 runs ....."

It looks as if this could have been a frequent fixture, e.g. from THE TIMES, July 10, 1839:

" .......The novel and interesting CRICKET MATCH between 11 Greenwich Pensioners having one arm each, against the like number with one leg, will be played at Hall's (*) Cricket Ground, Camberwell, on Monday and Tuesday next, the 15th and 16th of July inst. A first-rate band will be in attendance on each day, and a ball will take place at 9 o'clock each evening....."

What a jolly event it sounds.... and p.s. (*) those Halls get everywhere. ;)

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:47 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next