View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 1:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Sports 
Admin

Cricket, and some more from William Hoste*, speaking of the community of Lissa, on the island of the same name, in the Adriatic.......

'We have established a cricket-club at this wretched place," wrote Hoste, 'and when we do get anchored for a few hours, it passes away an hour very well. Teddy is the head of the party.' ....."

* Pocock's Remember Nelson - The Life of Sir William Hoste

Note: Young Edward Hoste was a midshipman on his brother's ship.

.....as you do, while looking for one thing you find another, and in the online Telegraph I was interested to come across reference to William Hoste and cricket in Croatia.

Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:18 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

From Volume I of Memoir of the Life of Admiral Sir Edward Codrington (1873):

"The harpoons have come safe. I do not expect to draw much blood with them, but if I can make the people amuse and employ themselves with them, it will answer my purpose."

Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:15 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Many things were of interest on my recent trip, but I was surprised to see a cricket pitch in the centre of Corfu town.

My own photograph shows the ground on a damp Sunday morning, but this web site gives some information about the development of cricket - an inheritance from the Brits - from 1823. Incidentally, the splendid builidng in the background is the Ionion Acadamy the first University in Greece, founded by Ioanis Capodistrias in 1808.

Frederick Chamier in The Life of a Sailor says:

".....we arrived in Corfu....this is a fine island with hill and dale, verdure and shade...we were in daily intercourse with the 10th and 75th regiments; and, what, between riding and rackets, cricket and conversation, the time passed most agreeably, and quickly, without any particular incident to remind us of our mortality....."

Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:42 pm
Profile YIM
Commander

Many things were of interest on my recent trip, but I was surprised to see a cricket pitch in the centre of Corfu town.

About 25 years ago, when I was doing quite a lot of sailing in the area of the Ionian Islands, there was one other survivor (apart from public buildings) of the British Protectorate which began with the Congress of Vienna and ended in 1864, and that was locally made ginger beer - the only place in the Eastern Med where I have seen this.

Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:42 am
Admin

Post Re:
susan wrote:
Speaking of sport at sea, shark fishing seemed to be a popular one. I've seen it mentioned in a few places.

Also just came across a game called "sling the monkey." Has anyone else heard of it? There is a description of it, which I will type up and post later on.

There is reference to the game in Thompson's This Thing of Darkness.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:44 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3