View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Sea-Going Pets 
Admin

Fun in the Antarctic: View of the Antarctic Continent

Charles Wilkes' dog, Sydney, in the foreground.

Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:54 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

From Voyages Up the Mediterranean and in the Indian Seas; with Memoirs, Compiled from the Logs and Letters of a Midshipman (1837) by John Heraud:

"We have a young antelope on board—it is, I assure you, quite a pet, and I think it finds its way into the berth better than any other place in the ship."

Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:04 am
Profile YIM
Admin

A bit out of the time period of this forum, but here's the link to an article about "Hatch": Skeleton of world's oldest sea dog 'Hatch' found on the Mary Rose goes on display at Crufts

Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:17 am
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Post Re: Sea-Going Pets
From "Fighting Sail", Time-Life Books, A.B.C. Whipple:

"Perhaps the most remarkable survivor of the battle [of Trafalgar] was a dog aboard the Conqueror. While clearing for action, the Conqueror's crew had, accidentally or intentionally, thrown the dog out a gunport. It landed on a ridge under the shrouds and clung there throughout the batttle, while cannon balls riddled the hull and musket fire peppered the shrouds. After the battle the dog was hauled back through the gunport, unscathed but in an understandable state of shock."

And,

"A British boat was pushing away [from the Santisima Trinidad] with the last seaman to be rescued when someone heard a mewing sound; the boat returned to find a cat poking its head from the muzzle of a gun."

...infuriatingly for me, a cat lover, the author does not say whether they actually rescued the cat or just saw it! I'm inclined to think poor kitty went down with the ship. Not to mention all the wounded still aboard. :cry:

...life on land is DRY :(

Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:03 am
Admin

Post Re: Sea-Going Pets
From Above and under Hatches - Recollections of James Anthony Gardner, from his time aboard Salisbury, 50, as a midshipman, he wrote that when leaving St John's, Newfoundland,

" ...... The admiral having given permission for any person that pleased to take home a dog, 75 were actually embarked .... we had eight of those dogs billeted with us. One of them had the name of Thunder. At dinner once I gave him a piece of beef with plenty of mustard rolled up in it. The moment he tasted it, he flew at me and I was obliged to run for it. He never forgot it, and whenever I offered him victuals he would snap at me directly. ...."

Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:31 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6