View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Civil courts 
Admin

Post Civil courts

The mention of Skeffington Lutwidge set me searching in the TDA for the surname. I came across the following with a mention of another Lutwidge. Was this Henry? Susan has one listed on the main site.

The Times, March 16th, 1802:

" .... The Assizes for Hants, held at Winchester, ended on Saturday .... Lieut Howett, of the Navy, was found guilty of defrauding Government to a large amount, in the purchase of provisions. Lieut. Lutwidge was found guilty of Manslaughter, in killing Thomas Fagan, a seaman. . ...."

If anyone is interested there are more details of Lutwidge's hearing in another entry. As usual, if anyone wants to read it, I will gladly forward it on to anyone who does not have TDA access.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:05 pm
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Post Re: Civil courts and Lutwidge
Mil!

The Lieut Henry Thomas Lutwidge to whom you refer, was found guilt of accidentally killing the seaman and spent 3 months in Winchester gaol. He later spent ten years, 1804-14, as a French prisoner of war. He was Skeffington L's nephew.

A luckier relation was Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (Lewis Carroll), the grandson of another of Skeffington's nephews.

Brian

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:31 pm
Admin

Post Re: Civil courts and Lutwidge
Brian Vale wrote:
Mil!

The Lieut Henry Thomas Lutwidge to whom you refer, was found guilt of accidentally killing the seaman and spent 3 months in Winchester gaol. He later spent ten years, 1804-14, as a French prisoner of war. He was Skeffington L's nephew.

A luckier relation was Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (Lewis Carroll), the grandson of another of Skeffington's nephews.

Brian

Thanks for your response, Brian; much appreciated!

Thanks, also, for the snippet about Lewis Carroll. It reminds me of holidays in Llanddudno in my youth. :)

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:46 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]