View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Families 
Admin

Post Families

I'd seen mention of the following a few times but not with such detail.

The Times, January 22nd, 1785:

" ... Bury, Jan. 19: ...The following is an account of the death of the son of Admiral Rowley, who was educated at Westminster School. He went to see a lady in Jermyn-Street, London, who kept a little dog, which being interrupted by the child while it was feeding, flew at him, and bit his lip. His friends having some suspicion that the dog was mad, went to Dr Hunter, who recommended them to an eminent surgeon, who put a caustic to the lip, and applied such medical treatment as was thought necessary. A few days after the child went on a visit to some friends at Boxford, in this county, where he complained of illness and pain; a physician in the neighbourhood was sent for, but to no effect; he was seized with the hydrophobia and died in 24 hours. ..."

Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:25 pm
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

a brief entry under the heading 'Deaths'

'8 May 1772 Master Proby, son to Commissioner Proby [of Chatham Dockyard] by falling into the hold of the Victory man of war, as he was at play with his brother on the deck, while his parents were in the cabin.'

Quoted in 'The Commissioner's Daughter: the story of Elizabeth Proby and Admiral Chichigov' by Joanna Woods

Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:22 pm
Admin

From the Gentleman's Magazine:

a brief entry under the heading 'Deaths'

'8 May 1772 Master Proby, son to Commissioner Proby [of Chatham Dockyard] by falling into the hold of the Victory man of war, as he was at play with his brother on the deck, while his parents were in the cabin.'

Quoted in 'The Commissioner's Daughter: the story of Elizabeth Proby and Admiral Chichigov' by Joanna Woods

.... poor little lad; I bet someone heard about it later!

p.s. I've often intended to read that book but haven't got around to it yet.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:43 am
Profile YIM
Admin

The Times, February 14, 1786:

" ... This is an age ofcalamity to the daughters of flag-officers; Admiral Mtbank has lost one daughter in ---- marriage; Admiral Gambier another, in a similar mode; and Admiral Darby's two daughters were overturned on Thursday last on their way to St James's. So that all these young ladies have in their turn been topsy turvy!. ..."

Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:21 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

The Times, December 19th, 1787:

" .... Of all the instances of fraternal affection, either in the higher or more humble walks of life, none exceeds that of the Earl of Berkeley for his brother George, a Captain in the Royal Navy. We are assured, from authority, that this amiable Nobleman divides the nett produce of his estates with his brother, and is determined never to marry on his account.

Lord Berkeley has been often heard to regret his not having been brought up to the navy. His Lordship has a cutter, in which he is continually sailing from place to place, and is remarked for the unaffected ease of his manners and his extreme condescension - He is a very good seaman. ...."

Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:48 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

The Times, May 16th, 1786::

" .... Died at Great Missenden, Bucks, on the 12th instant, wife of Capt. Thomas Baillie, of the Royal Navy, one of the principal Officers of his Majesty's Ordnance and late Lieutenant-Governor of Greenwich Hospital. . ...."

Susan has a Thomas Baillie listed that could fit the bill but I don't know if it is the same man. If it is, he must have lived to a ripe old age. Can anyone come up with anything more about the particular Baillee who lost his wife in the newspaper report?

Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:05 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Yes, that's the correct Thomas Baillie. I'll see if I can add more info to his page.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:24 pm
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

I had some info on Thomas Bailie in my DB, so I have posted a page to 3decks

http://3decks.pbworks.com/Thomas-Bailie-(1)
Also for his ship the Tartar's prize
http://3decks.pbworks.com/HBMC-Tartar%27s-prize-(1757)

No mention of a wife, and I've double checked his ODNB entry and it hasn't got one either. He is though the only captain of this name in the 18C, so the reference must reasonably be to him.

Cy

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:48 pm
Admin

Hi Mil,

Yes, that's the correct Thomas Baillie. I'll see if I can add more info to his page.

Thanks!

Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:05 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

No mention of a wife, and I've double checked his ODNB entry and it hasn't got one either. He is though the only captain of this name in the 18C, so the reference must reasonably be to him.

Cy

Thanks, too, Cy. Yes, strange no mention of the wife in the ODNB. I can find none either.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:07 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

The Times, November 27th, 1786::

" .... On Saturday morning last died at Holt, Miss Baynes, aged 51, daughter of Lieutenant Robert Baynes, who was cast away in his Majesty's ship Wager, on a voyage to the South Seas, in the year 1740, under the command of Lord Anson. ...."

Strange I should run across that as I'm just reading Shankland's Byron of the Wager :)

Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:08 pm
Profile YIM
Commander

cy wrote:

Cy

Thanks, too, Cy. Yes, strange no mention of the wife in the ODNB. I can find none either.

Charnock has: "In 1786, he had the misfortune to lose his Lady, who died on the 12th July of that Year".

His appointment as Clerk of the Deliveries at the Ordnance Board was was secured by a change in the political scene which brought to power people who had supported him in the Greenwich Hospital complaint (which led to his dismissal from the post of lieutenant-governor) and the Duke of Richmond to the office of Master-General of the Ordnance. Everything at that time was decided on party lines and Charnock records that Baillie was bequeathed by a former Lord Mayor of London "five hundred pounds as a small token of my approbation of his worthy and disinterested, though ineffectual, endeavours to rescue that noble national charity from the rapacious hands of the basest and most wicked of mankind".

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:05 pm
Admin

The Times, October 20th, 1786:

" .... On Friday night died, at Melton, in Suffolk, the Rev. Thomas Purvis, rector of that parish. He was the son of Admiral Purvis, and brother to Charles Purvis, Esq. of Durham-Hill ...."

Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:37 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

The Times, November 15th, 1786:

" .... On Tuesday last died, at Fareham, near Portsmouth, Hants, Lady Dent, wife of Sir Digby Dent, Bart. of His Majesty's Royal Navy. ...."

Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:51 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Post Re: Families
Hastings Reginald Henry

I came across an interesting article about his wife, Barbara, in an article in the online Telegraph. Read here.

She was a fossil hunter in the 19thC and I really became in intrigued with lady fossil hunters when reading Tracy Chevalier's Remarkable Creatures. I took the opportunity, while visiting Lyme a couple of months ago, to visit the museum there which is on the site of Mary Anning's old home.

For anyone interested: the museum.

Btw, does anyone know anything more about Henry himself?

Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:15 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next