View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Naval Social Calls 
Admin

Post Naval Social Calls
From Letters of Jane Austen (1892) ed. by Sarah Chauncey Woolsey, a letter written to Cassandra Austen dated 7 Jan 1807:

"Our acquaintance increase too fast. He [Francis Austen] was recognized lately by Admiral Bertie, and a few days since arrived the Admiral and his daughter Catherine to wait upon us. There was nothing to like or dislike in either. To the Berties are to be added the Lances, with whose cards we have been endowed, and whose visit Frank and I returned yesterday."

Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:26 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Post Re: Naval Social Calls
Overstaying one's welcome:

"After the duty [of transferring stores] was over, the officer [from Egeria] joined our dinner party. He had knows a near relative of one of our officers [52nd Light Infantry], and this led to their sitting and talking hour after hour to a very late hour of the night, and it became exceedingly tiresome to the rest of our party, who were forced to be almost entirely on deck. In vain did we send a message from time to time to say that the Egeria's boat was alongside; the reply always was, "Tell them to wait." And our friends did not take the hint, when a cock was selected from our poultry and let down through the skylight, to indicate to them that the morning was approaching. They had both taken too much wine..."

From; The history of Lord Seaton's Regiment, (the 52nd Light Infantry) at the Battle of Waterloo (1866) by William Leeke.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:36 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]