View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Sunset gun? 
Lieutenant

Post Sunset gun?
Hi all,
Can someone tell me something about the firing of a cannon at sunset? Somewhere I read this but can't find it now -- I'm looking for the procedure in port particularly. Was it at sunset, or a particular time by the clock? A fort on shore if there was one? The flagship if it was there? Was it done in foreign ports, or overseas bases? (And for that matter, was there a morning gun as well?)
I think somewhere I read about them doing it at the base in Jamaica, & this is what I wanted to confirm.
Thanks.

...life on land is DRY :(

Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:48 am
Admin

Post Re: Sunset gun?
Here are some details from the Regulations for 1806.

Section II, Chap. I:

Article XII: When a Flag Officer shall be in any Port or Road in His Majesty's Dominions, he is, at the setting of the watch at night, to fire one Gun previous to which the Tatoo is to be beaten on board his Ship, and all other Ships in company. If more than one Flag Officer, or Commodore with a Broad Pendant, be present, the senior only is to fire a Gun, and the others, in succession, are to fire a volley of Musketry, beginning with the second in Command. In all Ships not carrying a Flag, or Broad Pendant, the Centinals are to fire their muskets.

Article XIII: At the relieving of the Watch in the Morning the senior Flag Officer is to fire a Gun, and the other Flag Officers or Commodore in succession a volley of Musketry, and the Centinels, in all other Ships, their Muskets, after which the reveillez is to be beaten in every Ship present.

Article XIV: If there should not be a Flag Officer or Commodore at any of His Majesty's Ports where Guard Ships are stationed, the senior Captain is to fire the Watch Gun, but Ships at anchor in any other Port, without a Flag Officer or Commodore, are not to fire the Watch Gun, but are to set and relieve the Watch by beating a drum, and the Centinels firing their Muskets.

Article XV: From the 25th of March to the 21st of September, the Watch is to be set at nine o'clock, and from the 21st of September to the 25th of March at eight o'clock, in the evening; it is always to be relieved at day break in the morning.

Article XVI: The senior Officer of any number of His Majesty's Ships, which may anchor in any Foreign Port or Road, is to fire the Watch Guns, except in those places in which the regulations of the Port do not admit of guns being fired.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:39 am
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Post Re: Sunset gun?
Yay. Thanks much for posting all that!

I have an admiral in port, & the ship in question has lost its captain & therefore no pendant, so I'm assuming that XII applies, with just sentinels replying with muskets.
(Now what if the admiral is ashore?... Oh, nitpicking, never mind... there are some things you can leave out!)

Seems like if there were many ships anchored, there would be an awful lot of racket in the harbour every evening!
I remember we did it at anchor on the Rose one night in some little cove in Nova Scotia -- just the captain's little "toy" quarterdeck gun, but it probably startled the whole community.

...life on land is DRY :(

Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]