View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Admirals' flags 
Lieutenant

Post Admirals' flags
Dear all,
I've Googled, I've searched... I could waste some more time or I could just ask where I bet someone knows...
Can somebody point me to a reference on admirals' flags? I'm just looking for what flag a vice admiral of the red would have in the boat he goes ashore in. One of those stupid little details. From the Regulations & Instructions I have the statement that says in effect that admirals 'may display their flags in boats'... but what exactly did the flag look like? Was this particular admiral's little flag a miniature version of a red ensign, or something different?

...life on land is DRY :(

Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:45 am
Commander

Post Re: Admirals' flags
What years are we talking about?

Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:54 am
Lieutenant

I looked up re flags in the 1808 Regulations. For a Canadian who isn't really familiar with all the historical RN ensigns, it still leaves me wondering exactly what it looks like. Is the Union flag included in the corner like on a ship's ensign, or is it just a little red flag with a white spot?
Details, details; sigghhh. :?

...life on land is DRY :(

Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:11 am
Commander

Alison wrote:
I looked up re flags in the 1808 Regulations. For a Canadian who isn't really familiar with all the historical RN ensigns, it still leaves me wondering exactly what it looks like. Is the Union flag included in the corner like on a ship's ensign, or is it just a little red flag with a white spot?
Details, details; sigghhh. :?

The command flags at this time were: Red Squadron - a plain red flag; White Squadron - White flag with the Cross of St. George; Blue Squadron - a plain blue flag. The balls would be in the cantons next the hoist.

Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]