View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 6:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Transporting Cargo 
Admin

Post Transporting Cargo
Aside from cargo related to naval and military operations, how common was transportation of merchant goods on naval ships?

I ask because I came across this blog entry (with very nice pictures), which mentions wine carried on deck: Portuguese Navy Tall Ship N.R.P. Sagres in San Diego - June 8, 2010

Look at the fifth picture and the text just above it.

(I hope the ship will be in Honolulu Harbor, so I can visit it.)

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:45 pm
Profile YIM
Commander

Post Re: Transporting Cargo
Apart from specie, which was a special category, the carriage of privately owned merchandise on RN ships was forbidden from at least the mid-17th century. (I am ignorant of the finer points of this rule - whether it was still an offence if not done for profit?). From memory, Samuel Pepys had one captain up on a charge relating to this sort of thing.

Specie was a different matter and captains were entitled to a small percentage (1.5% reduced to 1% in 1831) on the carrying of private consignments of this nature. I think it was formalised by an Act of George IV. Basil Hall of the CONWAY would have made some profits out of this arrangement, I think. In 1820 HMS TYNE returned to the UK from South America with more than £700,000. (the £10500 commission would have been shared out in the proportion 50% to the captain, 25% to the CinC, 25% to Greenwich hospital). South America and Mexico were lucrative markets!

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:20 am
Lieutenant

What a gorgeous bunch of night shots. Thank you for posting those, Susan. I'm envious!! :mrgreen:
Hope you can get to see her in Honolulu. Post some pix if you do?
Was aboard in Halifax last year, & she was also in Belfast when we were. A very spiffy ship, all spit-&-polish. They were quite thrown off their clockwork routine when the flag snagged coming down. I got a kick out of the brass belaying pins.

What, exactly, was "specie"? Coins? Gold? Other forms of valuables? If you saw a cargo of it, what exactly would you be looking at? I've seen it mentioned numerous times but never been entirely clear just what it was.
Thanks!

...life on land is DRY :(

Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:46 pm
Admin

Alison wrote:
What a gorgeous bunch of night shots. Thank you for posting those, Susan. I'm envious!! :mrgreen:
Hope you can get to see her in Honolulu. Post some pix if you do?
Was aboard in Halifax last year, & she was also in Belfast when we were. A very spiffy ship, all spit-&-polish. They were quite thrown off their clockwork routine when the flag snagged coming down. I got a kick out of the brass belaying pins.

I did, indeed, get to see her. Lovely ship! She was moored just across the water from Falls of Clyde, so we had a good view of her. She left yesterday.

All those belaying pins must be a pain to keep polished. I had to smile at the fire buckets (with water). When I pointed them out, the sailor I was speaking with said they were just decorative.

I was also pleased to see them using traditional bosun's chairs. Before I injured my finger, I was working on one. Now that my finger is better, I just haven't had the time to complete it (need to finish the splice, do the seizing, and then some turks heads).

Will post a few pics later.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:44 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Here's a pic of a cask of madeira that was on the poop deck: Vinho Maderia

And a link to pics of the ship on my blog: NRP Sagres - Honolulu Harbor

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:27 am
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Nice pix. I bet it was entertaining watching the tugboats pushing her around!

...life on land is DRY :(

Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:41 pm
Commander

Alison wrote:
What, exactly, was "specie"? Coins? Gold? Other forms of valuables? If you saw a cargo of it, what exactly would you be looking at? I've seen it mentioned numerous times but never been entirely clear just what it was.
Thanks!

I think that technically it means/meant minted coins. However, the regulations may have taken a broader view because by the early 19th century it seems to have encompassed coin, bullion and jewels, both public and private. It was usually referred to as "freight".

Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]