View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Recommended Reading?? 
Admin

Post Recommended Reading??
......it doesn't have to be Age of Sail, but useful if it is ;) It's always fun to share a good book, whatever it is .... :)

Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:52 pm
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Two books about Sierra Leone
Rough Crossings by Simon Schama - The story of the runaway slaves who freed themselves into British lines during the American Revolution. It traces the peregrinations of these people through the Atlantic world until arriving at the Freetown colony. The Clarkson brothers mention elsewhere in this archive play a prominent part in their history.
A Long Way Gone by Ismael Beah - The newly published memoir (see the review in this Sunday's New York Times) of a child warrior caught up in savagery of Sierra Leone's civil strife.

Madison Smartt Bell's trilogy of novels about the Haitian Revolution:
All Souls' Rising
Master of the Crossroads
The Stone That the Builder Refuses

PT

Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:19 pm
Admin

Post The Last Days of Newgate
Not remotely naval and yet another crime novel and which I surprised myself by enjoying, albeit of course, historic:

The Last Days of Newgate set in the late 1820's and an intriguing tale of Bow Street Runners, Robert Peel, and Catholic Emancipation. The story is mainly set in the murky depths of The Rookeries of London and in Northern Ireland....an intriguing tale indeed.

For further information of Victorian London click here and here.

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:19 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

If anyone wants a good, gruesome, who-dun-it, Bow Street Runner read, try Resurrectionist by James McGee. It follows on from Ratcatcher and isn't anything remotely connected with the navy, but does contain a good deal in connection with the Peninsula War.

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:22 pm
Profile YIM
Midshipman

Sorry to be rehashing an old thread but I do have a book to add to the list. GIN, The Much Lamented Death of Madam Geneva by Patrick Dillion. It's a great book about the 18th C. Gin craze that swept England. It draws heavily from period sources and really sets the mood of London during the time. It's like actually being a part of Hogarth's "Gin Alley" print.

Chris

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:28 am
Profile WWW
Admin

Sorry to be rehashing an old thread but I do have a book to add to the list. GIN, The Much Lamented Death of Madam Geneva by Patrick Dillion. It's a great book about the 18th C. Gin craze that swept England. It draws heavily from period sources and really sets the mood of London during the time. It's like actually being a part of Hogarth's "Gin Alley" print.

Chris

....thanks, I've made a note; it sounds intriguing, and I like reading of the period whether its AoS or not.

Please keep "rehashing"; they're all there to be added to.... :)

Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:36 pm
Profile YIM
Midshipman

Thanks, that I will. Without trying to give too much of the book away some of the accounts read like headlines from the 1980's crack-cocaine epidemic, the parallels are scary. But it's not all a gloom and doom book there are some rather amusing anecdotes.

Chris

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:58 pm
Profile WWW
Admin

This particular thread needs resurrecting as it's a while since anyone posted to it.

Currently I'm reading, of the era, but not AoS, in Tracy Chevalier's Burning Bright - a story involving William Blake and Astley's circus. (I've read so much in The Times about Astley and his circus, that it was like meeting an old friend :) ) Anyhow, set in 1792, I am finding it an intriguing and informative read.

So....anything to share?

Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:30 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]