View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Jane Austen 
Admin

Post Jane Austen
....from the online Telegraph .....

Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:59 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Mansfield Park starts off the Jane Austen season this coming Sunday in the UK.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:38 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

....leave us to our dreams, eh, girls....from the Online Telegraph .....

Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:46 am
Profile YIM
Admin

....leave us to our dreams, eh, girls....from the Online Telegraph .....

I don't know if I buy that analysis. :?: But what do I know? I'm no Austen or autism expert.

Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:27 am
Profile YIM
Admin

On BBC1, Sunday, 27th April 2008, at 8pm: Miss Austen Regrets.

Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:18 am
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Re: the Telegraph article:

isn't it annoying the way the quirks and oddities of human behaviour that contribute to the differences that make people interesting (or maddening) is pathologised these days? Of course there are some behaviour patterns so extreme that they are outside the range of normal and have a label attached to them - but it is quite ridiculous to define all the flaws and failures if human beings by attempting to categorise them as abnormal and define them through pseudo-scientific terms. 'Attention deficit disorder' (which exists) is used to describe anyone who is a bit dreamy and disorganised; there are very damaged children who cannot cope with discipline - but the term 'oppositional defiance syndrome' is now stuck on any naughty child who hasn't been taught that 'enough is enough'.

And Mr Darcy autistic/Asperger's? I never heard such rubbish. Asperger's sufferers are unable to empathise with anyone. Look how Darcy dashed off to rescue Lydia from Wickham's clutches because he knew how much it would harm the Bennet family, and particularly Elizabeth; look how the housekeeper at Pemberley spoke of his kindness and consideration to all his staff and tenants.

Both Mr Collins and Mr Darcy are crashing snobs. The difference between them is that Mr Darcy manages to change - something he would not be able to do if he had Asperger's. No - characters in novels are simply fallible human beings - that's why they are interesting. And the most interesting of all are those who gain insight into their folly and learn to change.

End of rant!

Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:57 pm
Admin

On BBC1, Sunday, 27th April 2008, at 8pm: Miss Austen Regrets.

.... did anyone watch this? Polly, perhaps? I love the stories of Jane Austen. I am no expert, nor was I overly familiar with her life story other than having brothers serving in the RN. I thought this particular programme from the BBC was executed beautifully, starting off light and bright, and becoming dark and sad as she neared the end of her life. It was hard not to imagine I was in the midst of one of her stories, until she spoke of her "children", i.e. her novels.

Should anyone outside the UK get a chance to see it, please take the opportunity.

Polly, and, of course, other members may disagree with me, and I look forward to sharing the views of anyone who saw it.

Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:38 am
Profile YIM
Midshipman

Milly, I watched it yesterday on television. Since the Dutch TV broadcasted this film several months ago, it was the second time I saw it.
Although it was well made, it left me a little disappointed again because of the story becoming rather sad and a little bitter. I agree with you there. Her mother's attitude towards Jane did not help to lift the sad mood in the film either.

I like her own books/films better, I prefer stories with a happy end. I wonder if Jane Austen herself may have been very disappointed never to have been married and having children of her own.
Sylvia

Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:49 pm
Lieutenant

I didn't watch the programme - maybe I should have, but I have a peculiar resistance to the blending of fact and fiction. Quite silly when Shakespeare did it all the time in his history plays. But I do think a dramatisation of a life that plays fast and loose with the truth is unsatisfactory. We know a great deal about Jane Austen's views on marriage from her letters that survive. She was ahead of her time when she wrote to her niece that she could never marry for anything but love. Many marriages of the time were a matter of convenience or fleeting attraction unsustained by true feeling - and a very unpretty picture she paints of them in her novels: Mr Collins and Charlotte in 'Pride and Prejudice'; Mr & Mrs Palmer in 'Mansfield Park'; Mr & Mrs Bennett, also in P & P.

Jane Austen was no lady scribbler. She was a great writer and I don't think she would ever have compromised her art simply to be married. She might just have been prepared to do so if the right man had turned up, and one, who like her father, had nurtured her talent.

Apart from Patrick O'Brian, who is in a class of his own, I don't like historical novels either. I like my history 'neat'; and I do prefer novels that are 'of their period' - I mean I like 19th century novels written by nineteenth century writers like Dickens and George Eliot, but I don't like novels that try to recreate a vanished age. The word 'novel' after all means 'new' and I like them to be a mirror of their own age or at least, of a period within living memory. I think I must be a bit peculiar.

Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:06 pm
Admin

....from the BBC, and with further links of interest on the page, Jane Austen's hair?

Sat May 31, 2008 10:44 am
Profile YIM
Admin

....there looks to be an interesting one coming up for UK viewers on ITV next month ..... Lost in Austen

Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:53 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Post Re: More Jane Austen?
...£300,000 to spare? The sale is today.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:37 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Post Re: Jane Austen
Jane Austen poisoned? A theory here.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:12 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]