View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 The ravages of the Sea 
Admin

Post The ravages of the Sea
Living near the North Sea coast of England, I am aware of the ravages caused by the ferocity of the sea, particularly in East Anglia where erosion is playing havoc. I do feel so much for the lost communities and as I find links to such places I will put them on here. Please feel free to add to the list, no matter where the location.

For a start two places that I know of are on the Suffolk coast, i.e. Dunwich, which was a thriving medieval coastal community until the 14thC. Turner's painting is very dramatic.

Another tiny community that I have visited, or what remains of it, is Covehithe where you will see, when scrolling down, the main street drops off into the North Sea. I might add there is a barrier there!

Another one I saw on the BBC's programme Coast is Hallsands in Devon which I have not visited nor heard of until the programme.

Feel free to add, please.....

Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:35 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Happisburgh,on the Norfolk coast is another community suffering badly from erosion. Scroll down a bit; I find that brick well absolutely fascinating.

You will also see that the churchyard at Happisburgh is the last resting place for 119 men from HMS Invincible who died on Happisburgh Sands on their way to join Nelson at Copenhagan in 1801. Scroll down to see the memorial stone.

Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:39 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

This reminds me of when I was a geology student. We went on a paleontology field trip to Calvert Co., Maryland. We stayed in cabins fairly near to the edge of the cliff overlooking Chesapeake Bay. If I remember correctly, the woman who ran the place said that a cabin had already gone over the side due to erosion. (Having geology students pounding away with rock hammers doesn't really help! :lol: )

Calvert Cliffs Erosion

Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:36 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

This reminds me of when I was a geology student. We went on a paleontology field trip to Calvert Co., Maryland. We stayed in cabins fairly near to the edge of the cliff overlooking Chesapeake Bay. If I remember correctly, the woman who ran the place said that a cabin had already gone over the side due to erosion. (Having geology students pounding away with rock hammers doesn't really help! :lol: )

Calvert Cliffs Erosion

Thanks for that .... always interesting reading, and especially now by means of Internet, about other people's coasts. I shall spend a long time perusing that, thanks - not that I know much about geology!

The mention of Chesapeake brings back memories of Michener's saga.... :)

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:00 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Here's a story about a martello tower that is in danger of falling into the sea.

Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:47 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Here's a story about a martello tower that is in danger of falling into the sea.

I haven't seen that one at Bawdsey, but I'll see if I can get down there at the weekend, on my sojourn in Suffolk, and have a look at it.

Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:48 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Happisburgh,on the Norfolk coast is another community suffering badly from erosion. Scroll down a bit; I find that brick well absolutely fascinating.

Here's another picture of the well from another angle.

Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:34 am
Profile YIM
Midshipman

Post Opposite Side of Erosion
Don't forget that there's an opposite side to coastal erosion. Many ancient and medieval harbors have since silted up and the coastline has moved outward. When Pangea began to break up in the late Jurrasic or early Cretaceous, Calvert County didn't even exist--the Appalachian Mountains were close to the coast of the strait between North America and Africa. Before that, the Appalachians and the Atlas Mountains constituted a single mid-continent sierra. Much more recently, in England, some of the medieval Cinque Ports don't have harbors anymore. I'm not sure whether this is because of sediments being brought down by the rivers or currents moving sand along the coast from exposed points into inlets, or perhaps a combination. Some U.S. lighthouses have been replaced, and some "historic" ones have actually been moved to keep up with the migration of barrier islands.

Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:24 am
Admin

Post Re: Opposite Side of Erosion
Albert Parker wrote:
Don't forget that there's an opposite side to coastal erosion. Many ancient and medieval harbors have since silted up and the coastline has moved outward. When Pangea began to break up in the late Jurrasic or early Cretaceous, Calvert County didn't even exist--the Appalachian Mountains were close to the coast of the strait between North America and Africa. Before that, the Appalachians and the Atlas Mountains constituted a single mid-continent sierra. Much more recently, in England, some of the medieval Cinque Ports don't have harbors anymore. I'm not sure whether this is because of sediments being brought down by the rivers or currents moving sand along the coast from exposed points into inlets, or perhaps a combination. Some U.S. lighthouses have been replaced, and some "historic" ones have actually been moved to keep up with the migration of barrier islands.

I am not entirely familiar with the silt deposits of the ancient Cinque Ports but I do know that here in Wisbech, in the fens of Northern Cambridgeshire, the River Nene that now runs through the town did not so in medieval times; it outletted further down in The Wash. Its course was circuitous and now due to that enterprising Dutchman, Cornelius Vermuyden, the fens are drained but the Nene still suffers badly from a build- up of silt, but is kept clear so that shipping may still come up to our land-locked county.

Incidentally, I shall be down on the south coast on a pre-Christmas break so will see what I can find out locally at, say, Deal.

Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:30 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

For your bookshelf, one very good book I have on the subject is Nigel Pennick's Lost Lands & Sunken Cities.

Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:32 am
Profile YIM
Admin

I just saw a local TV report where it said that Orford lighthouse probably only has another five years before it is lost. :(

Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:41 pm
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

I just saw a local TV report where it said that Orford lighthouse probably only has another five years before it is lost. :(

Also at Orford (apart from a good fish restaurant and a couple of nice pubs!) is the Suffolk Underwater Studies unit, run by Stuart Bacon. He is a very experienced coastal diver. He and his team have recovered many nautical artefacts from the nil-visibility waters off the East Anglian coast, including a fine bronze cannon. Probably a saker. It used to be on display outside the unit's base (a craft shop on Front Street) but English Heritage forcibly removed it some time ago - ostensibly for conservation and safekeeping. There was a row about that at the time.

Above the craft shop is Stuart Bacon's little museum, devoted largely to the continuous problem of coastal erosion in that area. As far back as the 13th century the once-major port of Dunwich was being degraded by erosion and shifting shingle. Dunwich is now little more than a hamlet, but it too has a nice museum that tells the story of the loss of the town and harbour. It is about 14 miles up the coast from Orford.

Both villages are worth a visit and both museums are included in my list of museums, if anyone wants a bit more info.

Martin

Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Admin

Mil Goose wrote:

As far back as the 13th century the once-major port of Dunwich was being degraded by erosion and shifting shingle. Dunwich is now little more than a hamlet, but it too has a nice museum that tells the story of the loss of the town and harbour. It is about 14 miles up the coast from Orford.

Isn't that a great little museum at Dunwich! I've been there a few times, always lingering over that splendid diorama which illustrates the extent of the erosion, and loss of the community, over the years. I found this page about the erosion there, but it doesn't show what I want it to show (:x ) i.e. how much of the community has been lost.

Quote:
Both villages are worth a visit and both museums are included in my list of museums, if anyone wants a bit more info.

Martin

....great site, Martin; most informative! Thanks. :x

Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:07 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]