View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Hilary Mantel: Wolf Hall 

Post Hilary Mantel: Wolf Hall
Is anyone watching (or has watched) the six-part Wolf Hall series based on Hilary Mantel's books "Wolf Hall" and "Bring Up the Bodies"? It was first broadcast in the UK and now in the US. It concerns Thomas Cromwell, close adviser to King Henry VIII.

Anyone read these two books?

Mantel has not published the third book in the trilogy supposed to be titled "Mirror and the Light". I guess when it comes out in 2016 or 2017, there will be more episodes.

I originally read the books as they were published and then, when the series was announced to be broadcast on PBS here in the US, I re-read both books right before the series started. I think the books and the TV episodes are excellent but I am interested in other reactions. I have some criticisms but I will wait until I find out if anyone else is interested in discussing this.

Sun May 03, 2015 9:36 am
Admin

Post Re: Hilary Mantel: Wolf Hall
I tried wolf Hall and didn't like it being written in the present tense.

I did try watching the TV adaptation, but I'm not that fond of the Tudors, so gave up on that as well.

Sun May 03, 2015 4:42 pm
Profile YIM

Mil Goose wrote:

I did try watching the TV adaptation, but I'm not that fond of the Tudors, so gave up on that as well.

Mary, I know that you have a "thing" against the Tudors so I am not surprised. While I enjoyed the books, the main thing that I had against them was that Cromwell was always the "he" even if there were a number of males in the narrative. Mantel had to use some fancy methods to keep everything clear.
In the TV shows, the actor playing Cromwell seemed to be playing Cromwell very meekly but that eventually changed. The character does not rant and rave like Henry but Cromwell is not above getting his way using any means at hand. I loved it when he bluntly told Queen Anne (Boleyn) "No" when she told him to compromise Lady Mary's reputation, even if he had to do it himself.

Mon May 04, 2015 6:23 am
Lieutenant

Mil Goose wrote:

I read about the first half of Wolf Hall before getting sidetracked onto something else. I like Hilary Mantel's writing: she has some lovely turns of phrase. I must admit that I was a bit shocked that this lady could write such a graphic, detailed, description of the brutal attack on young Thomas Cromwell by his father, with which the book opens. In the first half Thomas C comes across as a likeable, almost admirable, character. I don't know if Mantel's later writing reveals the harshness and cruelty of his later deeds.

If you don't like the Tudors, try "Sovereign" by C.J. Sansom. It is the third in a trilogy of novels about a disabled clever lawyer, and is a first rate thriller with a good complicated plot. Henry VIII comes across as a very unpleasant person. Sansom evidently does not like the Tudors either! But it's a darned good story.

Martin

Fri May 29, 2015 5:52 pm
Profile WWW
Admin

Martin Evans wrote:
Mil Goose wrote:

If you don't like the Tudors, try "Sovereign" by C.J. Sansom. It is the third in a trilogy of novels about a disabled clever lawyer, and is a first rate thriller with a good complicated plot. Henry VIII comes across as a very unpleasant person. Sansom evidently does not like the Tudors either! But it's a darned good story.

Martin

Hello Martin,m

I'm a big fan of Shardlake. Perhaps that's why I like Sansom; a mutual dislike of H.VIII.

Fri May 29, 2015 6:24 pm
Profile YIM

Martin, Mary/Mil got me hooked on Matthew Shardlake too. I love the series.

Sat May 30, 2015 2:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]