View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Drunken sailors v Drunken pirates (raising eyes skyward...) 
Admin

Post Drunken sailors v Drunken pirates (raising eyes skyward...)

.....whatever will they do next! Whatever happened to the inebriated tar!! :?

From today's online UK Mail... see for yourself....

My daughter, now approaching 40, spent many a happy hour giggling away as her dad lifted her up to "Way-hay, and up she rises..." :D

Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:55 am
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Post Re: Drunken sailors v Drunken pirates (raising eyes skyward
Mil Goose wrote:

.....whatever will they do next! Whatever happened to the inebriated tar!! :?

From today's online UK Mail... see for yourself....

My daughter, now approaching 40, spent many a happy hour giggling away as her dad lifted her up to "Way-hay, and up she rises..." :D

I think the funniest part of the article is how quickly people (including the writer of the article) assumed some overpaid meddling bluenoses took it upon themselves to change the lyrics. As the article mentions - at the bottom, where it's a bit late - they merely wrote new lyrics to the old tune as part of a pirate-themed event. Kids and anyone else are still free to sing the old lyrics or make up new ones of their own.

As the son of two librarians I can attest to their ability to bend space and time to their will, but there are ways to fight the power.

Broos

Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:19 pm
Profile WWW
Midshipman

Broos Campbell wrote:
I think the funniest part of the article is how quickly people (including the writer of the article) assumed some overpaid meddling bluenoses took it upon themselves to change the lyrics. As the article mentions - at the bottom, where it's a bit late - they merely wrote new lyrics to the old tune as part of a pirate-themed event. Kids and anyone else are still free to sing the old lyrics or make up new ones of their own.

As the son of two librarians I can attest to their ability to bend space and time to their will, but there are ways to fight the power.

Broos

Perhaps the article was unclear but it does say that "The cleaned-up rhyme was made into a songsheet sent to libraries across the UK to encourage children to read. " So apparently if there was a "pirate themed event" it must have been nation-wide.

I just find it funny that they chose to replace "sailor" with "pirate". Who decided that a murderous cut-throat, and a grumpy one at that, was preferable to a tipsy sailor?

Rick Spilman
Old Salt Blog

Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
Lieutenant

RickSp wrote:
I just find it funny that they chose to replace "sailor" with "pirate". Who decided that a murderous cut-throat, and a grumpy one at that, was preferable to a tipsy sailor?

Better dead than dead drunk, apparently.

Broos

Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:41 pm
Profile WWW

We sang this song in my house , using sailor of course, all through our childhood.

Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]