View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Maltese Falcon 
Admin

Post Maltese Falcon
One of the nice things about living near a harbor is being able to see different ships coming and going.

One of my friends mentioned that there was a huge ship with masts in Honolulu Harbor. I could actually see it from the hill on which I live.

I went down to the harbor to investigate today. Turns out it's the luxury yacht Maltese Falcon. I wasn't the only one gawking at it.

Here's a video of the boat getting underway: Maltese Falcon in Antigua

I'm not sure what to make of it. It's fascinating and weird at the same time.

Any comments?

Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:06 am
Profile YIM

Post Re: Maltese Falcon
susan wrote:
I'm not sure what to make of it. It's fascinating and weird at the same time. Any comments?

Here's a bit of information at Wikipedia explaining how the sails and masts operate. CLICK HERE

WOW, Sails that deploy from the mast outward (as in the movie clip link you posted) and rotating masts. I think you are correct that this is weird and fascinating at the same time. Boy, would I like to get a tour and watch it sail from close up!

Anyone else seen this particular ship or the other two ships of it's type mentioned in the article?

Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:39 am
Admin

....weeeeeeeeeeell, I certainly wouldn't call it pretty! :lol: It looks more like a matchstick vessel, and might have fitted in well with Lowry's "matchstick men, and matchsticks cats and dogs."

.... but even Lowry's are easier on the eye: Yachts by L S Lowry.

Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:55 am
Profile YIM

....weeeeeeeeeeell, I certainly wouldn't call it pretty! :lol: It looks more like a matchstick vessel, and might have fitted in well with Lowry's "matchstick men, and matchsticks cats and dogs."

.... but even Lowry's are easier on the eye: Yachts by L S Lowry.

I agree, Mary, that it looks... (searching for a word here), but the Jacques Cousteau Society sailing ship named the "ALCYONE" is even weirder... since it has no sails at all, just airfoils. Of course, strictly speaking, my understanding of the ALCYONE is that it uses the wind to assist the engines. Maybe someone here knows if it can propel itself with only the airfoils. Anyone?

To see a photo of the ALCYONE, Scroll Down after clicking here.

Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:43 pm
Admin

As a designer, I can appreciate the visual aspect. The hull of the boat is very sleek.

However, she doesn't really appeal to me as a whole. If I had that sort of money to spend on a ship, I'd end up with a wooden frigate instead.

I wonder what sort of backup system she has in a worst case scenario emergency...say if the mechanical bits/computer/electronics fail and the sails get stuck and there's a bad squall coming? If they could rotate the masts, I guess that might help, but not if the whole system went down.

Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:15 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

As I was going home from a meeting yesterday, I caught a glimpse of the boat leaving the harbor under sail.

Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:45 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Excuse the haze in the photo...trade winds were dead that day and we had vog.

Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:02 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

.... I think she looks a good deal more elegant without her sails. Any more of your own photographs, Susan? From where did you take your pics? I've never been to Hawaii so any information is always gratefully received about your island idyll, not that I don't live on an island myself... :lol:

Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:51 am
Profile YIM
Admin

I did take more pictures, but they're not the greatest since there was no public access to the pier where the boat was.

Here's another one: Mast

This was taken from the observation deck of Aloha Tower. The tower was once the tallest building in the area and was used as a landmark for navigation.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:17 am
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

This ship looks very familiar. When I was in Bequia a couple of years ago, I was walking down to the harbor. There is a low stone wall high up on the island that affords a view much of Admiralty Bay. Moored near the beaches in the lower bay was a ship very similar to the one pictured and the name Maltese Falcon rings a faint bell. I didn't get to see her sail away, however, the next day.
PT

Last edited by PT on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:35 pm
Admin

I did take more pictures, but they're not the greatest since there was no public access to the pier where the boat was.

This was taken from the observation deck of Aloha Tower. The tower was once the tallest building in the area and was used as a landmark for navigation.

... fascinating! I found this Wikipedia link to the tower. ... interesting that the blurb compares it to the Statue of Liberty welcoming immigrants to the USA; I'd had the same thought about the Aloha Tower myself. It looks spectacular after dark, I must say.

Thanks....

Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:49 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]