View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 John Adams mini-series 
Lieutenant

I came across this post while searching through Wikipedia about the Adames, an <a href="http://www.shsu.edu/~pin_www/T@S/2002/NabbyAdamsEssay.html">essay</a> about the cancer and death of Nabby Adams, John and Abigail's beloved daughter. If you compare what happened in reality with what was shown on the HBO series, I think you'll see some of my concerns about John Adams. I don't mean to cavil unnecessarily. I think it was a good workman-like production under the constraints they had, only, I'd hoped to see more and better; but, then, I have some of the same mixed feelings about Master and Commander.
PT

Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:53 pm

...the cancer and death of Nabby Adams, John and Abigail's beloved daughter. If you compare what happened in reality with what was shown on the HBO series, I think you'll see some of my concerns about John Adams.

... I have some of the same mixed feelings about Master and Commander.

I share your same concerns about translating reality into film... never enough time to delve into all the details. However, in this particular case the mini-series was more about her father than his daughter's cancer so the lack of true details about "Nabby" might be understandable. This mini-series on Adams suffered just like so many other attempts to portray history. As you noted, even fictional books, like POB's, suffer likewise.

I'm not sure watchers of John Adams will read the book, as you are doing PT, or do other research, as I did, but they should in MHO. Especially if they hope to understand more fully the things they see on the screen.

Part of putting anything to film is the intent. Is it meant to entertain or teach? Like you, I take history (and the historical parts of historical fiction) seriously. However, I cannot fault others who watch something for recreation. I do that also. Currently I am reading the Dalgleish novels of P. D. James. I'm sure she has created the time and places as accurately as possible but I am reading her novels to be entertained and see if I can guess the killer before Dalgleish can. Fun!

Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:19 pm
Commander

Part of putting anything to film is the intent. Is it meant to entertain or teach? Like you, I take history (and the historical parts of historical fiction) seriously. However, I cannot fault others who watch something for recreation. I do that also. Currently I am reading the Dalgleish novels of P. D. James. I'm sure she has created the time and places as accurately as possible but I am reading her novels to be entertained and see if I can guess the killer before Dalgleish can. Fun!

Were you promptrd to take up P.D. James after seeing the TV series?

Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:58 pm

Were you promptrd to take up P.D. James after seeing the TV series?

:lol:
Nope, just taking a break from AoS. Your comment struck my funny bone a firm blow!

Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:04 pm

It was announced that this mini-series about John Adams received 23 nominations for Emmy Awards (highest American TV awards).

Click Here for Emmy information.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:03 am
Admin

I've read the exchange of posts with interest and will certainly keep an eye out for the series in case it reaches these shores. I particularly like the sound of the background stuff.

..... I started watching it!! I know little really about US presidents, and only a rough idea of the early presidential history, so the information provided along with the late 18thC setting makes interesting viewing.

Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:16 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2