View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 "Lark Rise to Candelford" 
Admin

Post "Lark Rise to Candelford"

....just when Sense & Sensibility is about to conclude, the BBC gives us more 19thC in the form of Lark Rise to Candleford which looks interesting to me.

I've never read Flora Thompson, so know nothing about the story apart from the synopsis. I noticed, however, that Julia Sawalha is in the cast and remember her as Mrs H in the tv Hornblower series.

Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:40 am
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

If you like nostalgia for the lost rural idyll of the English countryside you'll probably love this. It's the sort of thing the BBC (is it on the BBC?) do so well.

My introduction to LRTC was unfortunate - I had the world's most boring teacher and hated it - ( managed to write my class essays without actually reading it!). LRTC is a semi-autobiographical story, showing lives lived according to the slow rhythm of the countryside a hundred years or so ago - a total joy to read as an adult. So maybe it wasn't entirely the teacher's fault that I didn't like it - it was just the wrong sort of book for teenagers.

Advancing years bring some compensations!

Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:19 am
Admin

Thanks, Polly, for your comments. I've had so many recorded programmes to watch - with, thankfully, the abundance of material I like to watch these last few days - that I only was only able to view the first episode today.

What a delight! I am hooked already. :) Did anyone else see it?

You are right about the nostalgia aspect, not that I am THAT old that I can remember only horses and carts, and no motor transport ;)

Is it accurate, do you know, reference the charges for the delivery of telegrams outside a defined area? OK, I can check it online probably, but just wondered if you knew.

.... can't wait for next week's episode....

Last edited by Mil Goose on Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:27 am
Profile YIM
Midshipman

I saw LRTC too. I had taped it on video and I enjoyed watching it. Although I have to admit I also never read the book(s). I look forward to see the next episode on Sunday.

I too remember the horses, carts and steam trains, when I visited my grandmother in Germany as a child. I spent a wonderful time on top of the hay cart when it returned to the farm, drawn/pulled by 2 very gentle farm horses. I still like the smell of hay.
Sylvia

Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:17 pm
Midshipman

These past two Sunday evenings I have enjoyed watching Lark rise to Candleford, (BBC1, 8 o’clock English time) the second sequel very much.

Polly, do you think you would like reading Flora Thompson books now? I can buy a LrtC trilogy on a Dutch Internet shop, but before I order one, I would like to know from other contributors who read the books, if they are just as delightful as the TV sequel is.

Sylvia

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]