View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Name Nelson's cat 
Midshipman

Post Name Nelson's cat
I hope one of you can help me. On a forum where I use to post on, was a thread once about Nelson’s cat. But since the very old threads are not shown on the forum, I cannot find it anymore. The thread was posted several months before Trafalgar day 2005, if I remember correctly.

The poster heard of Nelson having a cat when he visited the Victory, from the guide there. Does any one know/remember the name of Nelson’s cat? It was Tiddles or Tinker, such a sort name. Later it turned out that Nelson did not have a cat on board the Victory at all.

Sylvia

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:44 pm
Lieutenant

Hi Sylvia - Yes it was Tiddles - See here

Now tell us why you need to know?!?

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:57 pm
Profile WWW
Midshipman

Post Name Nelson's cat
Hello Tony,

Thank you for your answer. I appreciate it. I asked the question because Tristan my Siamese cat is 19 years old. Although he is still healthy, he is getting very frail because of his old age. The thought alone of losing him is upsetting me.

I also have a cat called Nelson, who is only 4 years old. I will try to get myself another cat next summer. And I was just pondering about a name. Since I only have Tomcats, it has to be a man’s name. I thought of Horatio (of course), Shakespeare (although I cannot read/follow his English, I like his name for a cat), or Mozart, I love his music, but Tiddles sounds nice too. Even though he did not exist.

Sylvia

Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:27 am
Admin

Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:41 am
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:35 am
Lieutenant

Post Pet names
Nelson didn't have a cat, as far as we know, but he did have a pony called Tycho, and a dog called Nileus, who got lost. Perhaps you might like to consider one of those for your new cat?

I have just read an anecdote about Tycho in 'The Nelsons of Burnham Thorpe' by M. Eyre Matcham. The story was narrated by Parson Gunn, a neighbour in Norfolk. Nelson was visiting Parson Gunn's sister, and was in the middle of dinner when he was told that Tycho had bitten Parson Gunn's groom in the back. Nelson immediately left his dinner and went to attend to the man's injury himself.

Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:40 pm
Volunteer

Post Nelsonian cat names
Hi Sylvia

Keeping the Nelson connection, how about the mysterious Mira: dog, baby or something else entirely?

Definition = mirac-, mira-, mir-
(Latin: to wonder at, wonderful; causing one to smile)

There are two ways of spreading one's light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.
—Edith Wharton (1862-1937)

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:23 pm
Midshipman

Thank you Tony, Susan, LizMc, Polly and Moll for your answer and name suggestions for my new cat. Tristan died last April. I have lost a dear friend and member of the family. Although I miss him and still shed tears over him now and then, I found myself a new kitten. He will come and live with us in August, and I have decided to call him Oberon.
Sylvia

Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:16 am
Admin

Thank you Tony, Susan, LizMc, Polly and Moll for your answer and name suggestions for my new cat. Tristan died last April. I have lost a dear friend and member of the family. Although I miss him and still shed tears over him now and then, I found myself a new kitten. He will come and live with us in August, and I have decided to call him Oberon.
Sylvia

....sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved feline friend, Sylvia. I always used to keep Siamese cats, and when my last one passed way - our beloved Jai, aged 18 - it was such a huge wrench.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:48 am
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Sylvia

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of Tristan, but I'm so glad you have a new kitten. May Oberon have a long healthy life with you. Pets enrich our lives so much.

Cheers

Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:45 pm
Admin

I'm sorry to hear about Tristan. :( It's a difficult thing to lose a little furry (feathered, etc.) friend, especially one who has been a companion for so long.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:15 am
Profile YIM
Midshipman

Milly, LizMc and Susan, thank you for your sympathy and support. It is much appreciated.

Although Oberon can never replace Tristan, I am looking forward towards the day he will come and live with us. I am sure Oberon will become a beloved friend and will be a member of our family in his own way.
Sylvia

Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]