View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 New Member Introductions 
Admin

Post Re: A Greek on board!
Pegasus wrote:
Hi there!

My name is Panos and I am from Greece.
I Write a novel also. It will be in Greek and it is a love story and the begining of the book takes place on board of an Italian frigate of 1850.
I will need information about frigates of those times and about believes and superstitions for women on board and general habits of seamen on board.

Hello Panos,

Welcome to the SN Forum!

We'll do what we can to help. Good luck with your writing.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:35 am
Profile YIM
Midshipman

Pegasus wrote:
Hi there!

I Write a novel also. It will be in Greek and it is a love story and the begining of the book takes place on board of an Italian frigate of 1850.
I will need information about frigates of those times and about believes and superstitions for women on board and general habits of seamen on board.

Thank you all in advance. I am very happy already for this "journey" .

Well, as you probably are aware, there was no united Italy before 1861. So in 1850 your frigate would have been one of the local kingdoms of the area. If they had frigates at the time, they would probably be old and not state-of-the art, so any sailing frigate of the late Napoleonic area would probably do as a raw model. You could have a look at the other side of the Adriatic as well. This is how a frigate 1850 could have looked like.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Novara_(1850)

However, in 1850 there were already a variety of steam powered warships, all from sailing vessels with a small auxiliary steam engine to paddle-wheelers. The date is in the beginning of the period of transformation from sail to steam and is thus of course a very interesting period to write about.

Good luck!

Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:40 am
Commander

Pegasus wrote:
Hi there!

In 1850, after the First Italian War of Independence, Sardinia and Naples (the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies) had small navies. There were also the even smaller Papal and Tuscan navies. The Neapolitan Navy was well regarded and technically up to date. It was the first Mediterranean Navy to acquire a steam vessel and adopted shell guns some years before the British Navy. The navy of Sardinia - the Kingdom of Sardinia included Savoy, Liguria (including Genoa) and Piedmont - was regarded as efficient (even by RN officers) and had several good sailing frigates including the fine 60 gun SAN MICHELE, built at La Foce near Genoa in 1841, which was well known internationally in its day and was not laid up by the Italian Navy until 1875. She would have been similar to HMS VERNON viz:

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/prints ... oID=PW6089

For the layout of a similar, but smaller, frigate see:

http://www.hms-trincomalee.co.uk/#

In 1850 none of the frigates in the "Italian" navies was steam powered. The first “Italian” steam screw frigate was ordered by the Sardinian Navy from Britain and commissioned in 1854.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:38 am
Midshipman

Some of you may know me from Horatians or LiveJournal...

For those of you who don't know me, I stumbled upon the Age of Sail as a whole after running out of Sharpe novels (hence the username!) and turning my attention to the navy.

My specific area of interest is the Napoleonic era, especially the British Army, though I am interested in more than merely land-based warfare. Partly because of my interest in the Army, I am interested in the Marines.

I do re-enactment as a soldier of the 50th during summer weekends, and run an AoS RPG when I'm not away from the computer. Apart from all that, I read a lot, both fiction and non-fiction.

And that's me. :D

SF

Wed May 27, 2009 9:57 pm
Admin

Welcome to the SN Forum!

Thu May 28, 2009 3:45 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Welcome from me, too, Sharpiefan. I recognised the username. :)

Thu May 28, 2009 10:52 am
Profile YIM

More than twenty years ago I started reading Novels by Alexander Kent and was quite excited - and have been since then.

Over the years I have developed my knowledge about the historical aspects of the age of sail and I´ll keep doing so :wink:

At the moment I´m studying some original Naval Chronicles - and totally hooked.

I´m german so english is not my mother-tongue, but I will do my best.

Yours
S.P.P.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:13 pm
Admin

Welcome to the SN Forum!

There are other Bolitho fans here. Kent was one of the authors I started out with, as well.

I agree. The Naval Chronicle provides a lot of interesting reading material.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:27 pm
Profile YIM
Volunteer

Finally I could register. I'm chrisisthelawr on LJ (already in a lot of Navy-related communities), also Captain Vere on Horatian.org, and Sieglinde on some other places.

About me... well, username is obvious. I'm a Billy Budd fan to the point of fanatism. :oops: Blame Mr. Melville's tricky, deep text, a lot of essays, Lord Britten's amazing music and Sir Ustinov's amazing movie. I'm an opera fan is general, so yeah. :D

Also love MandC, and getting into Hornblower. Already love Pellew, just after the synopses and pics. I'm still waiting for my dvds to arrive. *kicks postal service* Got the books though.

I'm also working on an AoS book. It's placed on HMS Hyacinth, a nice 74, and aboard her a lot of dark things will happen... starring the Captain and two of the Lieutenants. The First Lt. is a really nasty baddie.

Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:38 pm
Admin

Welcome to the SN Forum!

Sorry you had so much trouble signing on!

There are a couple of other Horatians lurking about. A few of us have dipped into the various incarnations of Billy Budd. Melville's White-Jacket is quite good as well.

Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:16 am
Profile YIM
Volunteer

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:11 am
Lieutenant

Post Newbie delurking
Hello ...
I've been lurking here for a while, & finally registered to say hi. I'm a square-sail junkie who got interested in the age of sail after a memorable encounter with the 'HMS' Rose in 1995. Have since developed rather an obsession, & am now working on my own nautical novel (isn't everyone? :wink: ) Currently bogged in the research stage, so I'm always looking for new information & knowledgeable brains to pick.
Will probably mostly lurk, but am also looking forward to 'meeting' & sharing a few of my dumb questions with you :lol:
Cheers

...life on land is DRY :(

Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:36 am
Admin

Welcome to the SN Forum! Glad you de-lurked.

Please feel free to tell us about your experiences on Rose/Surprise.

There are no dumb questions. We are all here to learn from each other!

Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:15 am
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Hello Alison,

Please feel free to tell us about your experiences on Rose/Surprise.

Heh... how much time do you have?? 8)
I kind of "met" the Rose by accident; she was passing by & spent a night at the local wharf; someone called to tell me because they thought I might be interested... I will never forget standing on the dock looking up into the towering rigging, listening to the generator throbbing away below like a giant heartbeat, thinking she was something out of a time warp, & would mysteriously disappear again when she sailed away...
Interestingly I later found a quote by some admiral whose name escapes me for the moment, remembering the first ship he saw as a little boy; he described a very similar toe-tingling reaction.
4 years later I screwed up my courage & went on a 10-day inshore trip on the Rose; then the next year I sailed Halifax to Boston with a friend I'd met on the previous trip. (Sadly, that was her last year as a sail training vessel.) That was the beginning of the sailing interest... it was a long dry spell in between but more recently I was able to do an Atlantic crossing on the Bounty. The obsession is well ingrained now :wink:

I've been browsing all over the forum & am amazed at the amount of information you have here; the little tidbits posted from so many sources indicate some very enviable libraries...
I hope to get organized enough to post a few questions now & then; the frustrating thing for me in writing is all those little details, that you want to put in for realism, but have to wade through tons of books & documents, to find them. Research hijacks writing. I've learned a lot of interesting things, but the search for realistic detail can be very frustrating!

...life on land is DRY :(

Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:13 am
Admin

4 years later I screwed up my courage & went on a 10-day inshore trip on the Rose; then the next year I sailed Halifax to Boston with a friend I'd met on the previous trip. (Sadly, that was her last year as a sail training vessel.) That was the beginning of the sailing interest... it was a long dry spell in between but more recently I was able to do an Atlantic crossing on the Bounty. The obsession is well ingrained now :wink:

I am very envious! I wish I had the time and the financial means to go on a longer trip like you have.

Ah well...I am fortunate to be able to spend all the time I want to on board the Falls of Clyde. My fondest wish is to see her sailing again one day. That would be something. She's a grand old girl. Rusty...but she's tough.

If you are interested in the latest about Rose/Surprise (+ the Star of India), have a look at Brad Holderman's blog: The View From the Deck

Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:46 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next