View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 New Member Introductions 

Of course, but nobody ever told me that a lot of fish sounds interesting. The fish farm on which work is in Xove, about 30 kilometers from my home, I suppose this is not told anything, may see the rise in Google Earth 43°42'21.68"N, 7°28'56.74"O ,in the image is not because its construction is recent, measured some 200 hectares and is attached to this beach, between the red stain on the left and aluminium complex on the right, ALCOA, in this aerial photo if you see

There are about 700 pools with about 10,000 fish in each one, from breeding to mothers, but the vast majority are fish to sell when they reach 1 kilogram of weight. We work around 100 people, and I particularly am the leader of the group that reviews all the pools looking for sick or dead fish. Some of salmon fish farms of the Norwegian fjords are greater extension and production, but are not on the ground. This is a Turbot

Production of this plant is more than 3500 tons per year, nearly a third of all turbot aquaculture in the world, and my company Pescanova, a gold mine. They eat feed made with wheat and fishmeal and takes about 10 months to reach the height of the market, are sold from 15 euros to 40 euros per kilo in italy, multiply by 7 million fish and look how many sovereigns gold for each sailor, a lucky prize.

Want more detailed information yet?

R.N. You'll Never Sail Alone!

Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:49 pm

A small question, Susan, if not annoying, can I write to the various topics on the Spanish Navy, ships, seamen, dockyards, etc.? Are the new members have some sort of restriction?

R.N. You'll Never Sail Alone!

Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:46 pm
Admin

Thank you for the summary of turbot farming. It's amazing that they grow so quickly. And, yes, quite profitable!

As I said to Caracciolo, please do post information about the Spanish navy. There are no restrictions for new members. You can add to an existing topic or start a new one.

I think we would all benefit from it. I know I would. There aren't many books about the Spanish navy in English and I don't read Spanish. So, yes...please!

Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:00 am
Profile YIM
Admin

A little blurb of myself, my name known as insurance, is the protagonist of the novel by Patrick O'Brian, but my real name is Alberto Garcia, living in Foz, a small town in northern Spain, and in the work fish farm largest in the world, and therefore the most important site on the planet, at least where there are more big fish, turbot specifically.

.... welcome to the forum from me, as well, Alberto. I, too, love the novels of O'Brian, and, also, as Susan, says, I am sure many of us will benefit from your partipation in the forum, along with that of Caracciolo.

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:32 am
Profile YIM

.... welcome to the forum from me, as well, Alberto. I, too, love the novels of O'Brian, and, also, as Susan, says, I am sure many of us will benefit from your partipation in the forum, along with that of Caracciolo.

[/size]

Em, well, i'll try participate, but i understand english when i read, but to write in english is very hard.

:(

Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:49 pm
Profile WWW

I live in Ceuta.

Where is Ceuta?

It`s a city placed in the North of Africa.

From my city i can see perfectly Gibraltar.

In the famous battle, the villagers could hear the sound of the guns.

I'll show you a photo soon.

Bye!

Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:21 pm
Profile WWW

Hello all. I'm a newbie and still looking around but I thought I would introduce myself. A friend pointed me in your direction and it seems to be a prefect course for me to sail.

Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:21 pm
Admin

Hello all. I'm a newbie and still looking around but I thought I would introduce myself. A friend pointed me in your direction and it seems to be a prefect course for me to sail.

Hi Bridgid,

Welcome to the SN Forum!

Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:57 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

...welcome aboard, Bridgid. I am pleased that you joined us. :) I am sure that you will find much to interest you on this magnificent forum that Susan has built so enthusiastically. Feel free to post when you are ready to do so.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:32 am
Profile YIM
Midshipman

My name is Jens and I live in Stockholm, Sweden. I have been reading naval fiction since I was a boy and thus developed a perhaps slightly unsound fascination with all things nautical. While I do read lots of stuff not taking place in the period covered by this forum as well, I have a special interest in the age of sail.
As I am soon to be 40 years old I have finally started on my own novel in the genre. It is taking place during the Finnish war of 1808-1809, when Sweden lost Finland to Russia. I am still pretty much in the research phase, though. I actually do write in English (as the market for Swedish nautical fiction is virtually non-existent), so I may bother you about some specific nautical expressions from time to time...if that's OK?

Unfortunately I still have to work for a living, so I guess the novel will take some time to produce...

Well, when not writing (I do write for a living as well, but other stuff...) I enjoy sailing (now was that a surprise?) my little Alacrity 19 in the Stockholm archipelago.

Last edited by jenku on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:20 pm
Admin

Welcome to the SN Forum!

It's good to hear that you are writing a novel about the Swedish conflict with Russia. I look forward to reading it.

Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:11 pm
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

I have finally started on my own novel in the genre. It is taking place during the Finnish war of 1808-1809, when Sweden lost Finland to Russia . . .

I've only read a little about that, but what I have read was pretty interesting. Hurry up and write it so we can read it! :)

Broos

Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:55 pm
Profile WWW
Midshipman

Thanks for the kind welcome! I am sure your expertise will help me writing the book both quicker and more accurate! :)

Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:19 pm

Post A Greek on board!
Hi there!

My name is Panos and I am from Greece.
I Write a novel also. It will be in Greek and it is a love story and the begining of the book takes place on board of an Italian frigate of 1850.
I will need information about frigates of those times and about believes and superstitions for women on board and general habits of seamen on board.

Thank you all in advance. I am very happy already for this "journey" .

Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:13 pm
Admin

Post Re: A Greek on board!
Pegasus wrote:
Hi there!

My name is Panos and I am from Greece.
I Write a novel also. It will be in Greek and it is a love story and the begining of the book takes place on board of an Italian frigate of 1850.
I will need information about frigates of those times and about believes and superstitions for women on board and general habits of seamen on board.

Thank you all in advance. I am very happy already for this "journey" .

Welcome aboard, Panos. :) I am sure there will be some among our members who will be able to help you.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:11 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next