View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 America's Cup race 

The first race was finally completed today with the American boat winning easily. They finished more than a 100 boat lengths ahead of the Swiss.

USA 1
Swiss 0

I'm sure that there will be detailed accounts available shortly.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:26 pm

Click Here for a good account of the first race. While watching, I was surprised to see the American boat lose power during a turn and hear the announcer say that the boat "was in irons" which is a term used, obviously, from AoS times. The next attempt for the second race (of the best of three) will be Sunday morning. The second race will have three (13 mile) legs (equilateral triangle) rather than the simple upwind and downwind (20 mile) legs of the race today. Will that make a difference?
USA 1
Swiss 0

Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:35 am

Swiss 0

Baring a technical protest by the Swiss, the 2010 America's Cup is over. Today, the USA trimaran beat the Swiss catamaran by about 5 and 1/2 minutes in about a two hour race. Now the focus shifts to the next (34th) Cup race. Where will it be? How will it be conducted? What kind of boats? And so on...

Some of these decisions may be announced over the next few days.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:52 pm

Baring a technical protest by the Swiss, the 2010 America's Cup is over....

The protest (signified by a red flag hoisted by the Swiss during the race) was not pursued by them. So the Cup heads back to America.Click Here for one of many accounts on-line.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:34 pm

The 2010 (33rd) America's Cup was pretty interesting for a number of reasons including how it evolved from the previous versions and what is now in store for the 34th race. The press has been following this contentious conflict between the American and Swiss billionaires but I was finding it difficult to find information on how the conflict started. I found this comment: The two sides started up in a New York court shortly after the 32nd edition when Alinghi signed a Spanish challenger which the courts rejected.

From comments at other sites and clues offered by the announcers of the event, it seemed that the Swiss accepted a challenge from a Spanish yacht club that only existed on paper and only for 2 weeks. This Spanish challenger agreed to allow the Swiss to make all to rules and further agreed to let the Swiss have the final say in all matters. Many people in the world sailing community , not just the Americans, felt this meant that the Swiss would win without a valid challenger. Thus the first lawsuit. After that, the sequence of suits and counter-suits get a bit murky for me. It became personal for the principals. I assume there will be a book or two, eventually.

The past is the past. I am more interested in the future. Susan, from your previous comments, I think you will like this quote from the winning American team leader.

"One thing I would like to assure everyone about the 34th America's Cup is that there will be a completely independent jury, there will be completely independent umpires, it will be an independent group that manages the next America's Cup," [Larry] Ellison said. "And it will be a level playing field for all competitors."

If this actually happens, I think a lot of people will be happy.

Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:57 am
Admin

I watched some of the racing last evening. They certainly look weird and wonderful craft skimming over the sea. Those on the pod - or whatever the technical term is - out of the water looked as if they were on a crazy fairground ride. Interesting nevertheless, but I reckon cricket is more my cup of tea. :D

Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:33 am
Profile YIM
Admin

The past is the past. I am more interested in the future. Susan, from your previous comments, I think you will like this quote from the winning American team leader.

"One thing I would like to assure everyone about the 34th America's Cup is that there will be a completely independent jury, there will be completely independent umpires, it will be an independent group that manages the next America's Cup," [Larry] Ellison said. "And it will be a level playing field for all competitors."

I hope that's the case, but I won't hold my breath.

Although the boats were quite amazing to look at, I'll take our rusty FOC anyday!

Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:00 pm
Profile YIM

Click Here for a reprise of all the behind-the-scenes intrigue of the 2010 America's Cup.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:59 pm
Commander

Apart from what appears to be a lack of sportsmanship on both sides in this latest contest, the depths to which the AMERICA's Cup competition has sunk is exemplified by the competitors being unable to operate in other than perfect light conditions and a sad departure from all reasonable standards of seaworthiness.

There seems to be a decreasing public interest in the Cup generally, and I do not find this at all surprising.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:42 am

Apart from what appears to be a lack of sportsmanship on both sides in this latest contest, the depths to which the AMERICA's Cup competition has sunk is exemplified by the competitors being unable to operate in other than perfect light conditions and a sad departure from all reasonable standards of seaworthiness.

There seems to be a decreasing public interest in the Cup generally, and I do not find this at all surprising.

Peter, while I completely agree with your comments, I have hope that the world sailing community will put so much pressure on Larry Ellison that a reversal is guaranteed. Ellison certainly is making the right noises right now. Will he follow through? One more debacle like the last contest might damage it beyond recovery.

American TV completely ignored this event and the Olympics were only part of the problem. The US press was as disgusted as the rest of the world.

One thing (of many) that I missed this time was the multi-national round-robin regatta (sponsored by Louis Vuitton in the past) to select the boat to challenge the Defender. When this event was shut out due to the failure of Ellison and Bertarelli to agree (on anything), the Cup race lost the interest of the world.

While catching up on the Cup, I noticed that this regatta continued even though the prize is now the Louis Vuitton Trophy rather than a chance to challenge for the Auld Mug.

Nine boats from 7 countries in traditional America’s Cup Class formula yachts (thank goodness) are now in competition. Team New Zealand won the first stage this past November in Nice Côte d’Azur. The second stage is being held in Auckland, NZ on 9-21 March, 2010. Countries that are competing are: New Zealand, Sweden, France (2 boats), Russia, Italy (2 boats), and the United Kingdom. The USA competed in the first stage but (sadly) not the upcoming one. The Swiss have not competed so far. Future venues are Italy, Dubai, and Hong Kong.

Peter, would you happen to know why Australia is not competing? Did all you guys Down Under lose interest too?

Click Here for some information on the Louis Vuitton Trophy competition.

Last edited by timoneer on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:51 am
Commander

Well Don, I think that Australia did not compete because none of our magnates seemed very interested in forming a syndicate. I hope this will change in time for the next cup.
It seems to me that the AMERICA’s Cup has lost its glamour. We will see when the details for the next cup are announced.
I have to admit to favouring monohulls in yacht racing which probably partly accounts for my aversion to the current practices.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:43 am

I have to admit to favouring monohulls in yacht racing which probably partly accounts for my aversion to the current practices.

I love the monohulls too. It's strange but I get the same feeling of speed whether it is America's Cup Class or the cat or trimaran which travel at 2-3 times the speed of the monohull. It might be because I have only seen these races on TV rather than in person and that makes it harder to judge speed. Or, maybe it was the fact that on-board cameras were not used in the last Cup. I must admit that seeing the multihulls "flying" with only one hull in the water was impressive.

From recent reading on-line it seems that the world sailing community is pretty much evenly split on monohull or multihull for the future. However, I would love the traditional boats to continue. Even if the only race for monohulls in the world was the America's Cup, so be it.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:05 am

Post All Lawsuits have been dropped
All pending lawsuits have been dropped and all the final details have been resolved, clearing the way to the next America's Cup. Click Here for details and some great photos of the boats and the trophy.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:10 pm

Couple of things to report as of 2 May 2010:

Next week will see a major announcement about the next America's Cup race. The details should be very interesting.

In another development, there will be a re-running of the original 1851 race during Cowes Week in August 2010. Course will be the same, both boats will be modern mono-hulls that approximate the original 12 knot boats. British Team Origin will be racing against American BMW Oracle.

Click Here for info on the race.

Click Here for info on the Cowes Week regatta.

Sun May 02, 2010 2:33 pm
Commander

That is interesting news. It is a pity that they cannot use "J" class yachts - I understand that there are a few in existence.

Sun May 02, 2010 11:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next