View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 1:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Pubs, Inns, Hotels... 
Admin

Post Pubs, Inns, Hotels...
There is a thread for the Lord Nelson pub, but I thought that a general thread would be interesting. Here's a few to get started...

Ye Olde Admiral Rodney in Prestbury, Cheshire

Mster Builder's House Hotel in Buckler's Hard

Keppel's Head Hotel in Portsmouth

I stayed at the Keppel's Head when I went to Portsmouth. It's really convenient for visiting the dockyard (just a short walk down the street). It's also near the train station.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:19 am
Profile YIM
Admin

I realise what I am posting might not be quite what you are looking for but this link of pub signs might be of interest. There are plenty of maritime-related signs, and very attractive they are.

I've only had a brief search through them, but on the non-Midlands link, you will find one dedicated to the Endeavour.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:34 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Thanks for the interesting link, Mil. I like pub signs and regret I didn't take pictures of the ones I saw while I was in the UK.

Under "R" there's a nice one for the Royal George and, right below, the Famous Royal Navy Volunteer.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:05 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Captain James Preston House B&B in Newport, Rhode Island

There is a hotel in the UK that was once the home of a naval officer. I thought I bookmarked it but I can't find it and I don't remember who the officer was. Frustrating.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:45 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

The Lord Nelson in Hastings, UK. I walked by there, but never thought to take a picture.

Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:16 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Well, this is not so much a pub, as the Bateman brewery at Wainfleet, an ancient port off The Wash, in Lincolnshire.

For the Nelson associated brand, Victory, scroll down a little and some of the others might well amuse you. :lol: For an explanation of the first one on the right, read here.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:25 am
Profile YIM
Volunteer

there is a pub in deal kent uk called the admiral keppel

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:00 pm
Volunteer

At Chatham in Kent there is a modern pub called the Trafalgar Maid, which is supposed to be named after a woman who lived in Chatham after having been aboard one of the ships at Trafalgar. Unfortunately there seems to be little hard evidence for this.

In contrast, another modern pub, the Powder Monkey at Exmouth in Devon, was named after a real woman called Nancy Perriam aka Ann Hopping. She was with her husband on board a ship at the Battle of Nile. She came from Exmouth originally and ended her days in a house there that is now marked with a blue plaque. She is buried in an unmarked grave near the church at Littleham, a village just outside Exmouth, where Nelson’s wife, Fanny, is also buried.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
Admin

Welcome to the SN Forum!

Good to see you here.

Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:13 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Spotted on a visit to the Jurassic Coast last weekend, The Admiral Hardy - click on the picture for an illustration of the pub sign.

I would have stopped and taken my own photograph had I been on foot, but, alas, I was not.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:48 pm
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Post The Admiral Hardy
Mil,

Very interesting. But which Admiral Hardy? Cetainly not Thomas, Nelson's flag captain - the wig and uniform are fifty years too early for him, and the pub sign bears no relaationship to any known portrait (unlike 'The Admiral Hardy' in Greenwich.)

Perhaps it is Admiral Charles Hardy (circa 1770s). Not well know but perhaps the original landord had served with him.

Brian

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:11 pm
Admin

Post Re: The Admiral Hardy
Brian Vale wrote:
Mil,

Very interesting. But which Admiral Hardy? Cetainly not Thomas, Nelson's flag captain - the wig and uniform are fifty years too early for him, and the pub sign bears no relaationship to any known portrait (unlike 'The Admiral Hardy' in Greenwich.)

Perhaps it is Admiral Charles Hardy (circa 1770s). Not well know but perhaps the original landord had served with him.

Brian

The answer to your question, Brian, I don't know. However, I will add here that the sign I saw, as the bus passed the pub, did not look like the one that comes up with the link I posted from the Net. The sign I saw looked more in keeping with Thomas Masterman Hardy. Perhaps anyone more familiar with the area than I am might have some input here?

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:03 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Post Re: The Admiral Hardy
Mil Goose wrote:
Brian Vale wrote:
Mil,

Brian

The answer to your question, Brian, I don't know. However, I will add here that the sign I saw, as the bus passed the pub, did not look like the one that comes up with the link I posted from the Net. The sign I saw looked more in keeping with Thomas Masterman Hardy. Perhaps anyone more familiar with the area than I am might have some input here?

Hello again, Brian.

Further to the question of for which admiral the pub is named, I contacted the Weymouth TIC, who kindly replied as follows:

" .....Hello Mary, thanks for your email.

I was a little stumped myself, so I needed to call them and just make sure.

They've assured me that it's named after The Masterman Hardy. I've located details of this person here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Thomas ... st_Baronet ...."

Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:01 pm
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Norfolk, of course, is the place for Nelson-related pubs. The Plough in Burnham Thorpe was re-named the Lord Nelson, the first of 200 or so pubs bearing the name throughout the UK. Norfolk also has The Hero, The Norfolk Hero, The Victory, and The Hoste Arms in Burnham Market.

I also have a recollection that, many years ago, I saw a pub sign in Norfolk -The England Expects - but enquiries since as to its exact whereabouts have yielded nothing. Surely I didn't imagine it? Can you help, Mil?

Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:37 pm
Admin

Norfolk, of course, is the place for Nelson-related pubs. The Plough in Burnham Thorpe was re-named the Lord Nelson, the first of 200 or so pubs bearing the name throughout the UK. Norfolk also has The Hero, The Norfolk Hero, The Victory, and The Hoste Arms in Burnham Market.

..... interestingly, many of those pubs I pass when having a ride out on the Norfolk Green Coasthopper bus. :lol:

Quote:
I also have a recollection that, many years ago, I saw a pub sign in Norfolk -The England Expects - but enquiries since as to its exact whereabouts have yielded nothing. Surely I didn't imagine it? Can you help, Mil?

I don't know of one so named, but would imagine there is. I'll keep my eyes skinned, but one local pub in a fenland village was called "England Hope". It got re-named in recent years, but I am including here a page from the current pub's website which if you look carefully shows the pub sign when it was named in honour of Nelson.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:42 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next