View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 "The calling of the sea" 
Lieutenant

Post "The calling of the sea"
I'm currently reading an 1876 edition of Henry Piddington's "Sailor's Horn Book for the Law of Storms" -- what was known about hurricanes at the time, & how to handle your ship in one. Interesting how much they did know (first edition was 1850-something) in the absence of satellite imagery & so on. A few people were working really hard on the science of this.
He mentions accounts of distant roaring/screaming/moaning wind noises, preceding an approaching hurricane. Not the regular sound of wind in the rigging, but something more. His theory is that it's the sound of the hurricane wind, reflected from the clouds over a great distance.

"A noise is known on some parts of the Coasts of England by the name of 'the calling of the sea' as occurring in fine weather, and announcing a storm, and also in mountainous countries. All these may be connected, and seamen may render great service to science and to themselves by noting these curious phenomena."

My question is, has anyone else heard of this and do you know what parts of England he might have been referring to?
I'm assuming it may be somewhere on the west coast as he mentions earlier, someone's experience living on a coast "exposed to the full sweep of the North Atlantic gales" -- but would like to have a little more specific locations (need to know if a character might have heard this sound).
Ideas?

...life on land is DRY :(

Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]