View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Monuments/Memorials etc 
Admin

Post Monuments/Memorials etc
From The Times, August 18, 1817:

" ..... NELSON'S PILLAR ...YARMOUTH ... August 15..... The interesting spectacle of laying the first stone on a Naval Pillar on Yarmouth Denes, to commemorate the victories of the immortal Nelson took place this day.

At half-past twelve the procession moved to the place chosen for this national memorial of British heroism in the following order.....

Constables, Flags, Band, Mayor and Corporation, Officers of the Navy, Model carried by Sailors, flanked by Sailors carrying Flags, Architect and Secretary, Committee, Flags, etc.....

The first stone was laid by Colonel Wodehouse, as Chairman of the Committee. The day being fine, rendered the sight truly animating. In the stone was placed a plate, on which was engraved a Latin inscription written by Mr Sergeant Frere, the learned Master of Downing......"

The account then goes on to give that translation.

For anyone not aware of the Monument in Great Yarmouth, scroll down this link a little for further information.... and some better pictures here.

I have some photos of my own, but can never get the angle I want in view of the monument's current surroundings. I wonder if, in the annals of the town, there are pictures of the stone-laying. I will pursue the matter.

Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:14 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

From The Times, June 3, 1817:

" ...... The situations for placing the national monuments for commemorating the battles of Trafalgar and Waterloo are said to be Greenwich for the former, and Portland-place, in the circle next to the New-road, and facing the Regent's-park, for the latter. ..."

Does anyone know about one in Greenwich? Or did the column in Trafalgar Square become the national monument?

I've only got down to Greenwich once so I'm sure I missed a lot on my visit.

Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:09 am
Profile YIM
Admin

From The Times, May 14th, 1818:

" .... LORD NELSON - Mr Flaxman's Monument to Lord Nelson, erected at the national expense, in St Paul's Cathedral, was yesterday opened to public inspection. The statue of Lord Nelson, dressed in the pelisse received from the Grand Signior, leans on an anchor. Beneath, on the right of the hero, Britannia directs the attention of two young seamen to Nelson, their great example. The British Lion on the other side guards the monument. On the cornice of the pedestal are the words, Copenhagen, Nile, Trafalgar. The figures on the pedestal represent the North Sea, the German Ocean, the Nile, and the Mediterranean. ....."

The Flaxman Monument, etc...

Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:47 am
Profile YIM
Admin

Post Re: Monuments/Memorials etc
Mil Goose wrote:

" ..... NELSON'S PILLAR ...YARMOUTH ... August 15..... The interesting spectacle of laying the first stone on a Naval Pillar on Yarmouth Denes, to commemorate the victories of the immortal Nelson took place this day.

At half-past twelve the procession moved to the place chosen for this national memorial of British heroism in the following order.....

Constables, Flags, Band, Mayor and Corporation, Officers of the Navy, Model carried by Sailors, flanked by Sailors carrying Flags, Architect and Secretary, Committee, Flags, etc.....

The first stone was laid by Colonel Wodehouse, as Chairman of the Committee. The day being fine, rendered the sight truly animating. In the stone was placed a plate, on which was engraved a Latin inscription written by Mr Sergeant Frere, the learned Master of Downing......"

The account then goes on to give that translation.

For anyone not aware of the Monument in Great Yarmouth, scroll down this link a little for further information.... and some better pictures here.

I came across this picture on glass of the monument which I like for its simplicity.

Last edited by Mil Goose on Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 21, 2008 4:44 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Mil Goose wrote:

...should you have wondered what the top of the monument looks like in detail, and if you are curious to know what the view is like from the top, have a look here.

Naturally, I was a little more than curious, having been "brought up" with Great Yarmouth as one of my seaside resorts. :D

Last edited by Mil Goose on Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:00 am
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

I live in Greenwich but have never noticed any national monument to Trafalgar - and I think I would have if it were here.

Brian Vale

Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:12 am
Lieutenant

There is a very unobtrusive monument to Trafalgar which I noticed as I walked down Whitehall one very rainy day not long after the bi-centenary events in 2005. Just under the archway to the entrance to the Old Admiralty Building, two plaques are affixed to the wall. One gives the history of the building; the other commemorates Lt Laponetiere's journey along the Trafalgar Way which ended at the Old Admiralty Building where he delivered his news of the victory. It is also intended as a memorial to 'those 18,425 men who fought for the freedom and independence of this land', so all who fought, not just the dead, are remembered.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:08 pm
Admin

Mil!

I live in Greenwich but have never noticed any national monument to Trafalgar - and I think I would have if it were here.

Brian Vale

Thanks for your response, Brian (that's a good place for a naval writer to live :D). I suppose it was like a lot of things, talked of and never transpiring, but how nice it would have been for such a monument in Greenwich.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:51 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

Volunteers wanted ....

at the Nelson Monument in Great Yarmouth .... details here.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:52 pm
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Mil!

Brian Vale

Who needs a monument, when you have the Trafalgar Tavern!

Martin

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
Lieutenant

Volunteers wanted ....

I have always been saddened by the scruffy area that it is in. All hemmed in by industrial units, and (as you said earlier) hard to get a nice photo of.

Martin

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:48 pm
Profile WWW
Admin

Mil Goose wrote:

Volunteers wanted ....

I have always been saddened by the scruffy area that it is in. All hemmed in by industrial units, and (as you said earlier) hard to get a nice photo of.

Martin

I didn't know until very recently - when they were speaking about the monument on BBC Radio Norfolk - that when it was built it was on open land on the South Denes, and on which a racecourse would be developed. Eventually, they resited the racecourse to its present location north of Yarmouth, leaving the monument isolated, and, of course, as you said, it is now surrounded by industrial units.

There is some information here and there is a Word document on the Nelson Monument website which has a Word document on it which features a painting by JWM Turner, which, apparently, Martin, is in the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge. I doubt I shall get to Cambridge in the near future to view it, but I wondered if you might be able to do so.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:43 am
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

The painting by J.M.W. Turner is called "Yarmouth Sands". The Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge does own it, but because it is a watercolour it is not normally on display. It is in storage, in the dark, to protect it from fading.

The museum's accession number is 576, and if anyone wants to see it, this can almost always be arranged, with at least 48 hours notice needed. To arrange a viewing, telephone the UK number: (0)1223 764363. I was told that the Fitz owns several Turner watercolour paintings.

Martin

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:43 pm
Profile WWW
Admin

The painting by J.M.W. Turner is called "Yarmouth Sands". The Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge does own it, but because it is a watercolour it is not normally on display. It is in storage, in the dark, to protect it from fading.

The museum's accession number is 576, and if anyone wants to see it, this can almost always be arranged, with at least 48 hours notice needed. To arrange a viewing, telephone the UK number: (0)1223 764363. I was told that the Fitz owns several Turner watercolour paintings.

Martin

Thanks, Martin, for that information. I'll bear it in mind as I would certainly like to see what Yarmouth looked like down in the South Denes area before it was developed.

Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:14 am
Profile YIM
Admin

The Times, April 5th, 1804:

" ........... NATIONAL MONUMENT - Last Monday was opened in Westminster Abbey, an extensive Monument, voted by Parliament, and executed by Mr Bacon, in memory of two of our Naval Heroes, Captain John Harvey, and Captain John Hutt, the former of his Majesty's ship, Brunswick, and the latter of the Queen, who so eminently distinguished themselves under Earl Howe, in the glorious action of the 1st June, 1794, in which they were killed. ..... "

The Memorial in Westminster Abbey: here - and here.

John Harvey's memorial in Eastry, Kent.

Both officers were mentioned in the "Burial at Home" thread in posts dated September 23rd, 2007, & October 3rd, 2007.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:12 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]