View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Anchorages 
Admin

Post Anchorages

From The Times of February 5th, 1793:

".....We are informed, that Government have determined upon raising some fortifications on the Sand Hills, between Sandwich and Deal, for the purpose of protecting all vessels in the Downs from any possible attack of an enemy....."

Does anyone familiar with that section of the coast of Kent know if they are still there? I did a search but brought up nothing specific.

Last edited by Mil Goose on Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:37 pm
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Do you think this might refer to some of the south coast martello towers, 74 I think of which were built 1805-8 along the Kent and Sussex coasts?

Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:04 pm
Admin

Mil,

Do you think this might refer to some of the south coast martello towers, 74 I think of which were built 1805-8 along the Kent and Sussex coasts?

It's possible, Kester, and an idea that had not occurred to me (strange really considering the posts I had made about martello towers on this forum :) ).

I checked out the martello tower site again, but it doesn't appear to feature any that far east along the Kent coast. I have visited that stretch of coast several times, but I could not say I was familiar with it.

Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:59 pm
Profile YIM
Admin

From The Times, October 19, 1803:

".... Among other active measures of Government respecting the menaced invasion, an experienced Master of the Navy is repeating a survey of the coast, and marking out anchorage for ships of different draft of water; so that they may be enabled to take their allotted station at the shortest warning. His Majesty's ship York. is now on her ground near Dungeness; the Raisonable is off Havre, while the Utrecht and the Monarch, with some frigates and gun-brigs, are in the Downs. ......"

Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:53 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]