View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Painting Guns & Carriages 
Admin

Post Painting Guns & Carriages
I found this bit interesting. Part of the regulations issued in July 1796:

"ALL Ships when ordered to be fitted or refitted, whether for Channel or Foreign Service, are to have their Guns and Carriages Painted, but of none other Colours than those already established, viz.

RED, WHITE or CHOCOLATE.

The Guns on the Upper Deck, and the Muzzles of those on the Lower Deck, are in future to be painted once in Twelve Months, if at the End of that Time a Ship should arrive at either of the Ports of Spithead, Plymouth, or the Nore. And when the Guns and Carriages of any Ship have been painted, or a Supply of Paint issued to the Gunner for that Purpose, a Certificate is to be given by the respective Officers to the Gunner, specifying the Date when, and Place where, the Guns and Carriages were last painted, or a Supply of Paint issued, which Certificate is to be produced to the Office where the Gunner makes a Request to have the Guns and Carriages of that Ship fresh painted."

Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:08 am
Profile YIM
Admin

From Deck and Port; or, Incidents of a Cruise in the United States Frigate Congress to California (1850) by the Rev. Walter Colton:

"Our painters commenced to-day painting our gun-carriages black. They had a coat of white paint when we left port, but it soon became dingy and defaced by the rough-and-tumble of sea usage. Black paint can easily be restored..."

Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:39 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]