View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 powder chest 
Midshipman

Post powder chest
have become interested in the workings and use of the powder chest to repel boarders. is there plans on how to build one or stories of their use in action, fiction or non. thank you

Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:14 pm

Post Re: powder chest
Capt. Silver wrote:
have become interested in the workings and use of the powder chest to repel boarders. is there plans on how to build one or stories of their use in action, fiction or non. thank you
You might want to start by reviewing page 25 of "Boarders Away II" by William Gilkerson. Other than that, I have not read of any powder chests in fiction or non-fiction.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:54 pm
Midshipman

thanks you for the reply. it seems to be a subject of limited interest and note. i have a list of references and have read Gilkerson's entry on the subject. i think a powder chest would make an interesting show and tell piece, so i am trying to gather as much information on the weapon as i can before i start work on it. let me ask you this, Gilkerson refute Falconer's statement about nailing the chest to the deck, what is your thought on that action? there are also references in John Smith "Seaman's Grammer & Dictionary", John Sellers "A Gunner's Glass". plus a sprinkling on the web.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:18 pm
Lieutenant

from a simple google search:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/powder+chest
powder chest 
–noun
a small wooden box containing a charge of powder, old nails, scrap iron, etc., formerly secured over the side of a ship and exploded on the attempt of an enemy to board.

an interesting idea!
Viking

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:48 pm
Midshipman

yes viking, it is like having claymore mines on the side or deck of your ship. John Smith Seaman's Grammer & Dictionary pg.57 writes "those (powder chests) being fired will make all clear before them. beside, in an extremity a man would rather blow up the quarter-deck, half-deck, fore-castle, or anything, then be taken by him he knows a mortal enemy". Gilkerson in boaders away vol.II states that other references mention chests positioned on the chain plates channels, the first likely outboard toe-hold for a would be boarder.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:36 pm

Capt. Silver wrote:
... i think a powder chest would make an interesting show and tell piece, so i am trying to gather as much information on the weapon as i can before i start work on it...
Even if you locate a specific design or description that was used in a particular period account, it probably would not be some standard design used by other captains in other instances. It was probably just an ad hoc design for that moment. Size or type of chest would probably just be what was on hand. The important thing would be the use, not the appearance. I realize that you would like to build an example based on an actual account, but if you cannot find one, it would seem that the form would be as much up to you as it would be to any particular crewman given the task. Just my opinion of course.

If you do locate a first-hand account or something official, please post that information here as I guess there are others here as interested as myself.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:50 am
Admin

It sounds rather tricky and dangerous to use. If it exploded in a manner that wasn't intended, it could set the ship on fire.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:25 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]