View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Steam Cannon 
Admin

Post Steam Cannon
This sort of reminded me of the Mythbuster pirate show with the air cannon-thing they came up with.

"NAVAL STEAM CANNON.

The first experiments made with Perkins's Steam Cannon at Vincennes, near Paris, were not attended with very brilliant results, and it appears that the last have not been more fortunate. The enormous apparatus of which this machine is composed, was placed at about forty paces distance from a wooden figure, formed to represent the hull (carcasse) of a man-of-war; the projectiles thrown were about four-pound calibre, and remained fixed in the thickness of the wood; a four-pounder was afterwards fired off at the same distance, and the ball penetrated the figure. Other experiments may possibly give different results, but even allowing that the superiority of Perkins's Cannon becomes established, the complication of the machinery, and its enormous proportions, will render its application to the arming of ships almost impossible.—(Journal du Commerce, in Bull. des Sciences, Mil. Aug. 1829.)"

This was reprinted in the January 1830 edition of the USJ.

Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:53 am
Profile YIM
Midshipman

The Mythbusters tested a steam cannon as well. The way they were trying was based off Archemedies and Da Vinchi designs. The designs lacked containing the pressure of the steam. But in the final test, they contained the steam and launched a 10 lb ball (or so, I don't remember the exact weight) over a mile. It is amazing to watch, but well ahead of technology in ancient or Renaissance times.

Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]